(Failed) attempt to improve on 'Best paracord survival bracelet'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
In the thread “Best paracord survival bracelet? -firesteel, tinder, scraper and sling”:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73817

Paracordist showed his design for an improved bracelet. I thought it was a massive improvement on the usual one - which I already have. I wanted to have a go at making one based on his design, but as I thought the fastening could potentially catch on things when in everyday use I tried to think of a different way of incorporating the firesteel.

I am not happy with what I have produced but thought that, before I unwind it all, I might as well let other people see it in case it gives someone an idea that might work. In the meantime I want to try out some other ideas and hope to post them even if they don’t work either.

The basic idea was to replace the firesteel fastening with a normal fastener and to place the firesteel inside the weave of the bracelet itself. I thought this could work as it would allow a bigger firesteel

CIMG5996.JPG

whilst being less obvious as to its potential uses.

In my first attempt (no photos) I tried putting the firesteel inside an outer edge of the bracelet.I wasn’t happy with that because the firesteel didn’t seem very secure and the bracelet looked unbalanced.

In my second attempt I tried putting the firesteel down the center of the weave:

CIMG5995.JPG

This was better.

CIMG5993.JPG

But I thought it was too bulky. For example I couldn’t fasten the button on a long sleeved shirt.And it was significantly bigger than the ‘traditional’ paracord bracelet.

CIMG5994.JPG

I hope to try using a thinner (not ‘proper’) paracord, but maybe someone knows a different weave that could work.

I haven’t got as far as attaching the jute and ID tag.

One problem I have hit is finding a suitable tag to use. I assumed I could just go to a key place and get a dog tag or similar but none of them seemed suitable – not only the wrong shape but the wrong metal also.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to use for the ID tag, bearing in mind that it needs engraving and also to act as a striker, I’d be interested to know.

Hope this helps someone and thanks again to Paracordist for the original (in both senses of the word) idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE