Eydon/Kelly etc Kettles

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have just received an Eydon Kettle which looks to be just what I want for canoe trips to boil water. However I wonder if any other users here have solved the problem of how not to get the cork dirty when boiling and how not to burn your hand when you* lift the handle up over the chimney?

I'm hoping that an alternative to fire gloves is sugested so the thing remains self contained.

*For 'you' read 'Humpback':(

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks, I couldn't find this mod when I searched. I wonder if he would make some for sale?
I had thought about a snuffer like you put on a trangia burner but can't get to mine just now.
I think I'll experiment with a finger sized ring where the chain attaches to the body so I can pivot the kettle to pour.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
You can hook the cork over the handle to keep it off the ground and when you start to lift it, take the cork/chain in one hand (or thread chain through fingers) and then lift the kettle off with the handle horizontal until you're clear of the fire then swing it vertical. You can then use the cork chain to tilt the kettle for pouring.

Had to think about this for a little while and remember how I do it :eek: I've got a ghillie kettle and the whistle doesn't have the same problem.

No youtube vids on this??

Cheers,

Alan

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
Pass the cork through the handle loop hanging the cork with a few inches of chain over the rivet that hold the handle to the side of the kettle if that makes sence?

And to lift with out burning you hands hold the handle not by the wood bit but with two hands by the two longer bits (ie if the handle is striaght up like the letter n the two downward bits) but do this at 90 degree to the upright kettle. Put the whole thing down then lift the cork and chain back through, hold the wooden handle with one hand and the cork and chain with the other to pour, sorted on cup of tea:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I put the cork between the handle and the side of the kettle when boiling, using the handle to keep it from falling down.

To pick up just grab the handle with both hands at the sides, once it's away from the fire pan just grab the chain with one hand and tip it.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the cork altogether anyway, obviously you don't boil with it in place and KK advise not carrying any water in it anyway so what's the point in having it ?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm thinking of getting rid of the cork altogether anyway, obviously you don't boil with it in place and KK advise not carrying any water in it anyway so what's the point in having it ?

I agree.... Not got a cork on the big Thermette we use.... it boils quick enough.

DSCF0096-1.jpg

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
Ok, played with it again on the cooker.

The horizontal lift works. I fitted a ring at the chain to body fixing point through which I can put a finger to pour.

I also cut down a coke can which fits over the chimney and dropped that on to protect my fingers when using the handle vertically.

I will shorten the chain to the cork so it doesn't get lost as I don't need to use it for pouring.

Thanks for the ideas chaps.
alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE