Exploding Seed Pods - Plant ID

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi All,

Can anyone hjepl with this - seen on banks of Canal at weekend nr Wigan,

Seeds pods exploded when touched - which kept Daughter amused for ages !

S7000777.jpg

S7000778.jpg

Thanks

Loz

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hymalayan Balsam by the looks of it. Not native and takes over, common. But I grew up with it and always associate the smell with rivers, so quite like it.
Think parts of the plant are edible (seeds?)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Himalayan Balsam I belive.
Sweet and overpowering scent?
If so it is a bl**dy awful intrusive plant that is choking native flora out of existance on our river!
The seeds are fun but if you move them to a new area they soon take over there.
I understand the seeds are edilbe - if you can catch them!

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Thanks Guys, !!

Just googled Himalayan Balsam and read about its introduction to Kew and its "escape" and invasion of britain.

Hymalayan Balsam

I will also now throw away the seeds i brought back to Ireland with me that i had planned to plant in the garden as i thought the plant was quite nice !!! ( i don't want to be seen to be assisting this kind of intrusion !)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It is horrible, our river is choking from it, I rip it up when I see it. It's very virulent and causes no end of problems.

Loz, don't throw the seeds away, burn them. If you throw them away in the black bin then they will sprout at the landfill when the bag gets torn.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
It is horrible, our river is choking from it, I rip it up when I see it. It's very virulent and causes no end of problems.

Loz, don't throw the seeds away, burn them. If you throw them away in the black bin then they will sprout at the landfill when the bag gets torn.

Good advice on burning. I was told by a local ranger that to get rid of this beastie they have to dig it all out frequently for at least 18 months because the seeds lie dormant in the soil for that long. They can treat the ground with some herbicides but they refuse to and have to do it by hand which is a nightmare job.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
These fella's are everywhere near me, river banks, streams, my allotment. We were debating what they were (mother in law insisted they are wild orchids) so I can now give an definitive answer.

Thanks peeps.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Our local wood is full of the Stuff.... Seen it advancing over the years!

Tis bloody awfull

K

Karr

Balsam is everywhere on the rivers near me, (Have you noticed the colour of the Honeybees, that has been feeding on this stuff. They become all white) along with Giant Hogweed and the Knotweeds.

I don't like the use of spraying, but it's the only viable option to control them.

Regards Sparrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE