Experiences with the Snugpak bivy bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my experience the Snugpak bivvibag is quite a snug fit on their sleeping bags, making it more of a waterproof skin than a big loose sack you can also get some kit inside, like some bivvi bags are.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one.
Great for summer backpacking,excellent quality, nice and compact, light weight, waterproof...

You are welcome to buy mine, very competetive price, only slightly used...

:lmao:
THAT should tell you something :p All the above is true, BUT, I use Snugpak Military Sleep range bags, (I am sure they used to be called Code Green), both a No6 Kestrel for the summer and a No10 Harrier for winter. The Harrier won't fit inside the bivi bag without losing some of its loft. If you try to follow the advice to put your kip mat inside as well, you will get a great insight into how a salami feels! I am not a particularly stout person I think it pretty :censored: that Snugpak make a bivi bag which won't take one small/average bloke in combination with their own range of sleeping bags!

Now, they MIGHT have changed dimensions since I bought my bag a few years ago, but you need to check it, probably by trying one out and being ready to send it back if it doesn't fit. The only reason they didn't get mine sent back with a flaming letter was that I didn't get the No10 bag until I had been using the bivi with the No6 for a year or so.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
...but I have found the comfort temperature ratings to be a bit optimisitic
very much so. The No10 works for me, with decent under insulation, in a hammock, down to about -2degC, but I have to be wearing a pullover and hat :rolleyes: I haven't tried it lower. I think that they rate them on what you get in a tent shared with another person.

exped.equip.

Sep 30, 2007
Glos.
I prefer to be on the ground rather than between two trees as i cannot seem to get any sleep in a hammock because i`m a figit ****! The snugpack bivvy is an only just fit bag with no room for anything but you and sleeping bag.I would say a military one is much better because of the extra room--even the rucksack goes in out of the weather.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Ok, I will look into the alpkit bivybag instead. Thanks for the tip!

How "badly" rated ar ethe snugpak sleeping bags actually? I was looking tinto getting the Softie 3 merlin for pure summer use (paired with a silk liner). But perhaps it's not really suited for sleeping outdoor? i would like to avoid having to sleep with all my clotes on ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have used my Kestrel from April through September in England, not at altitute, but will own that it was a little chilly at either end of that time. When we had a warm summer I found the Kestrek a little warm except for first thing in the morning. As a pure summer bag the Merlin might well do you for late May through August, on average.

Wearing some upper body clothing suits me since it lets me regualte my temperature just a little better by having the bag partly open, or my arms out. I find that wearing all my clothes is counter productive and leaves my feet colder than they would be otherwise.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
I know :) and i also got one that i use for other activities. But the weight of 1300 gram makes it too heavy for regular backpacking.

Alpkit looked nice, but the lack of zipper can make it troublesome to get in and out, and if you get hot in the nigh, it's not soo good either.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The Snugpak has no zipper either.

I have a silk liner and use it sometimes. I can't say that I have really come down one way or the other about liners. I tried a fleece liner once and it was worthless. Sure, it added plenty more warmth, but it was bulkier than just buying a bigger sleeping bag would have been. The silk liner seems to add some warmth, but it probably would make more difference if you slept without additional clothing.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
the alpkit bivy bag is sold out in my favourite colour. :( black. all they have left is the ghastly red. they are seriously cheap. i was gona get one as a spare/back-up. test it out.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I agree with the concensus here, I have the Snugpak Bivi bag too and it is fine if you want to have a waterproof bag for your sleepingbag, but you'll not get any gear in it at the same time and like the Alpkit it doesn't have a zipper.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
This is an old thread (2007), but the most recent on the Snugpak bivi and I wondered whether there were any new opinions on it - especially the SnugPak Special Force Bivvi Bag.

Anyone tried it out? The thread so far (2007) is pretty negative about Snugpak bivis - but the previous post suggested improvements had taken place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE