Expedition review - Shadowhawk Track India (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Just back from Shadowhawk's India expedition and thought i'd share some photos and do a bit of a write-up.
The expedition was led by Max from Shadowhawk and a small group of us went for a week to Kahna National Park in Central India.
Accommodation was luxurious by bushcraft standards – we stayed in private lodges, each getting our own double bedroom lodge. Meals were provided and we were able to concentrate on the tracking.
This was the first time Shadowhawk have run a tracking course in India and I think the Indian hosts were a bit shocked that we wanted to track on foot in Tiger country. Normally they cater for rich westerners who like to sit in the comfort of a jeep and be driven around to tick off the wildlife in their books. Our arrival quickly disabused them of this idea as we disappeared into the forest in the dark as soon as we arrived. The lodge had their own ranger who accompanied us and loved every minute. By the end of the week he was enthusiastically tracking with the rest of us and getting lost in discussions of tracks, to the horror of his bosses.

Maybe I should set the scene a bit. Kahna national park was the inspiration for Kipling's Jungle Book. It is nominally separated into two sections – a 50,000 acre core area and a 100,000 acre buffer zone surrounding it. Local indigenous people were cleared from the core area into the buffer zone, though in practice the animals come and go as there is no physical barrier between the two areas. The core area is split into west and east sections, with the eastern section being out of bounds to everyone except the researchers and rangers. Temperatures while we were there were in the high 30s, so the day was split into two sections. In the mornings we traveled around the core area by jeep or elephant and in the afternoons we tended to track through the buffer zones and, quietly, into the edges of the core area. The middle of the day was spent by the poolside at the lodge or sheltering from the hammering sun and discussing tracking in general.

The trip was absolutely amazing. The only problem, which we all got a bit annoyed about at times, was the insistence of the authorities that we could not get out on foot in the park's core area. Sometimes this drove us almost to tears as we found interesting tracks disappearing of into the undergrowth. The Indian authorities are absolutely fearful of having their first tourist fatality and this has led them to be extremely overcautious.

We got loads of dirt time through the week and the chance to track some really unusual animals. Max is a legend as far as tracking goes and we all came away with our tracking skills further improved.

Hopefully Shadowhawk will be returning to India next year and I would thoroughly recommend the trip particularly as they are currently negotiating with the authorities for access to the restricted Eastern zone of the park, where we would be allowed to track on foot – away from the eyes of the rich tourists in their jeeps.

Anyway here's a few pictures from the trip. Any questions fire away..

These guys are Hamuman Langurs. They are named after the monkey god and are everywhere since although they are predated on by Dhole, Leopard and Tiger they are pretty smart
455279696_6d87e2f7e0_o.jpg

Possibly the most effectively camoflagued hunter i've ever had the pleasure of spotting. Can you see him yet?
455279698_7c1dbb5c63_o.jpg

How about now Mr Leopard?
455279700_fe46ed7f7b_o.jpg

We found this track..
453697168_db21591c18_o.jpg

Followed it until we saw movement in the bushes..
453697164_8d1e132e3e_o.jpg

Fortunaately he'd already eaten half a Gaur so wasn't interested in any of the bald monkeys
455282186_3fbdac373c_o.jpg

He truly was an awe inspiring creature - an adult male in his prime. For reference the Gaur is a gigantic buffalo that is easily the most dangerous Indian animal as far as humans are concerned
453697166_00df583560_o.jpg

Here's a Gaur while alive and believe me they're massive
455279694_a87f76036c_o.jpg

This was an interesting track - Sloth Bear. We actually encountered one in the jeep. But as soon as we spotted it the driver accelerated towards it rather than stopping, so of course it vanished into the forest and we lost it.
455282182_e12d068270_o.jpg

This was a dove that had been caught by one of the local farmers who put birdlime sticks in the trees. our guy freed it and removed the lime (actually a glue made from sap)
455282178_2fc40ef6f5_o.jpg

And here's a birdlime stick in the trees
455291201_ff0d3be729_o.jpg

These are the Swamp Deer or Barasingha - they are the most endangered animal in the park and the reason that WWF and others provide funding. There are only about 400 of them left in the world and they are all at Kahna. This is a bachelor group just hanging around scoping for girls
455291197_4f1b634a40_o.jpg

These are the Cheetals, the most common deer in the park and the predators' main food of choice
455291203_a894a11526_o.jpg

And finally for now my favourite animal of the entire trip - the Dhole. We watched them hunt and feed, play and sleep and I could have sat for days more watching them. They have been known to kill tigers, but they don't show their ferocity just a boundless curiosity with everything they come across. They are also smart as hell.
455279682_f5e317c064_o.jpg

Looking at them you really can see that they are fox and wolf and dog and yet none of them at the same time.
455291207_06764269f9_o.jpg

The best description we could come up with was that they had the bodies of the african wild dog, with a fox's head stuck on it. I loved them and they on their own would have made the trip worthwhile.
455291211_c15f788bc5_o.jpg

Anyway that's more than enough pictures for now - i've probably clogged everyones computers up! I have loads more though so will stick some more up later if anyone would like to see them.
:)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Wow.... simply wow... lucky man you are !

On my side, I saw a squirrel on my way to work this morning :eek: Ya I know, not as much of a sight, but still... hehe

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fantastic.

How did you get so close to the tiger?

The angle of the photo with the tiger and the gaur suggests you were quite close and it is unusual for a tiger to be so passive with humans so close.

Interesting that it chose to tackle a gaur with all the other easier game available. In Malaya tigers do not often go for gaur as they keep in groups and are known to kill tigers who unlike lions are solitary hunters and outnumbered by the gaur.

Great photos of the wild dogs

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Brilliant photos, thanks.

Check out the young cheeky cheetal stag on the right, it looks like he's just nipped in for a quickie while the doe has her head down for a drink but seems like the big stag to the left has clocked him :lmao: . "There may be trouble ahead - but while there's music and..."

455291203_a894a11526_o.jpg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm so jealous that I can't even write a reply......I've spent time in an Indian tiger reserve and all I saw was prints and poo! lol The guides wouldn't let us leave the 4x4s to track anything :(

Glad you had a great time mate but don't expect me to talk to you until you're bored of talking about it! lol :lmao:

Bam. :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
BOD said:
Fantastic.

How did you get so close to the tiger?

The angle of the photo with the tiger and the gaur suggests you were quite close and it is unusual for a tiger to be so passive with humans so close.

Interesting that it chose to tackle a gaur with all the other easier game available. In Malaya tigers do not often go for gaur as they keep in groups and are known to kill tigers who unlike lions are solitary hunters and outnumbered by the gaur.

Great photos of the wild dogs

We got to about fifty feet away from the tiger on foot and then got on an elephant to approach him (We weren't wanting to get a Darwin award after all ;) ) as he'd just eaten and it was the middle of the day he just glared mildly at us as I leaned lower and lower from the elephant's back until the mamut screeched and grabbed hold of me in case I dropped off!
Interestingly though a number of the locals have had run-ins on foot with tiger and there are no reported attacks so far. Apparently it's only the Gaur and the leopards you have to watch out for, and leopards mostly came into the villages to eat thedomestic dogs who they consider "packless". Apparently the only time tigers attack humans is if they are injured or have broken teeth.

Everyone was pretty impressed that he'd taken out an adult Gaur. In his defence he was an Adult male in his prime and he'd trapped it in a thicket where he could place his teeth with care, rather than risk taking it on the run.

Oh and sorry Bam :p

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Forgive my cynicism but if you're so much in love with the planet and nature then exactly how much carbon dioxide did your flight to India pump out? What's wrong with taking a tracking holiday closer to home.
Bit like people saying how wonderful their holiday in the Maldives was. Yet their holidays in the Maldives will help to cause a rise in sea levels which is likely to leave the Maldives underwater.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Here's a few more :)

First up A Serpent Eagle

464915640_5fc816d14c_o.jpg

Next is a little Owlett that was just waking up in his Banyan Tree at Sunset. He was only about three or four inches tall.

464915638_30fe63ef2c_o.jpg

These claw marks were about ten feet up a tree. The force that must be required to do this is mind boggling. I thought they were Tiger at first, but someone suggested Sloth Bear and that sounds more likely to me given their respective tracks.

464915648_04d4e91ed9_o.jpg

Here's the tiger from the rear. You get a really clear idea of how amazingly tall and narrow he is.

464915646_857ce5c307_o.jpg

and finally I've hidden this one, so if you're a bit squeamish you may not want to see. This is the remains of the Gaur once Mr Tiger was done with it. It's quite interesting to see exactly what he chooses to eat and what to leave. If for example this had been a Dhole kill they would have eaten the internals

[HIDE]
464915642_e3bc304fae_o.jpg
[/HIDE]

:)

BOD

leon-b said:
heres a bit about the gaur
leon

A good link leon-b.

There are accounts of seladang (gaur) taking hits from 50 calbre express rifles (elephant guns) and still coming on. Sir George Maxwell tells of one bull shuffling forward slowly despite mortal wounds determined to kill the hunter. Apparently the wounded leave the herd to draw off the enemy and fight to the death.

Another account by Charles Shuttleworth is an eye witness account of a bull and cow picking up and tossing a tiger repeatedly till it died.

A British cow it is not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE