Expedition Hardware, negative experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Dear bushcrafters...beware...

http://www.expeditionhardware.co.uk/

I've bought 3 items from this guy, only received 2 :(
The owner told me he would receive the 3rd item, it's been 2 weeks now and I never received anything...
Never picks up the phone, no response to my 3 emails...never got refunded. This guy / website is a nightmare.

Whatever happens, NEVER buy from this site !

Lesson learned, always buy from reputable stores / sites.

:banghead:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just tried ringing them, got straight through first try, he picked up by the third ring. it might be worth trying them again now

stuart

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
I paid by card (Barclays). The thing is that they are not responsible. Only the seller should be able to refund. Barclays car refund only if my card got stolent or any form fraudulent use, which is not the case here...
What can you do against a guy who isn't shipping you anything ? :(

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Call Barclays and tell them the situation. Most credit cards come with purchase protection. I done a few chargebacks through my bank for stuff I've bought with my Mastercard and never arrived, or wasn't up to scratch. You give the company the chance to rectify the problem, and after that, cancel the payment.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I paid by card (Barclays). The thing is that they are not responsible. Only the seller should be able to refund. Barclays car refund only if my card got stolent or any form fraudulent use, which is not the case here...

That is not true. If the goods cost between £100 and £30,000 then the credit card company is liable for non-performance equally with the trader.

What can you do against a guy who isn't shipping you anything ? :(

See one of my posts about taking action in the County Court, for example

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76686&p=961279#post961279

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84028&p=1015764#post1015764

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
And even if under £100, Barclays would still be liable if "fraudulent", whether credit or debit card, under the Distance Selling Regulations. If there's a suggestion that the seller somehow intended to keep your money and not release the goods (or never had them in the first place) then that's probably fraudulent enough for the bank to claw the money back, pending some sort of explanation to the contrary. It's generally a condition of their agreement to have credit card processing facility.

There's also, regrettably, a series of bad experiences with this trader on another forum:
http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?14311-expeditionhardware-co-uk

I'd like to think that it's just a blip and that EH will come up trumps for you...

Good luck

Andy

V

ViamFec

Don't forget that sometimes items are lost in the mail. In the USA about 1 package in 500 is somehow lost by the US Postal Service (in my experience). So it is not always the fault of the merchant.

gesp5151

Nov 22, 2012
Stratford
I ordered an OMM Jacket from them - delivery 3 days - 4 weeks later nothing. I tried contacting them by phone and email everyday and got nowhere. I contacted the payment processesors Sage and got nowhere. I contacted OMM who said they couldn't help (I suggested they might like to be more careful who they allowed to sell their stuff). Eventually got a refund with a curt note that they had not been able to supply. This despite their website describing the exact size and spec wanted as being in stock 5 weeks earlier. Realistically these people should be shut down by trading standards.

Dear bushcrafters...beware...

http://www.expeditionhardware.co.uk/

I've bought 3 items from this guy, only received 2 :(
The owner told me he would receive the 3rd item, it's been 2 weeks now and I never received anything...
Never picks up the phone, no response to my 3 emails...never got refunded. This guy / website is a nightmare.

Whatever happens, NEVER buy from this site !

Lesson learned, always buy from reputable stores / sites.

:banghead:

A C watson

Nov 28, 2012
Durham
I'm still waiting for a refund 6 months later tried everyone and credit card company no joy just dont touch this web site once they know you want a refund they stop communicating emails nothing also
Beware their Terms and conditions as they wont take back any new climbing equipment even when unused hidden in small print

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
NEVER managed to speak to the owner after many attempts. NEVER received my item. NEVER got refund.

Expedition Hardware MUST be avoided like plague.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm still waiting for a refund 6 months later tried everyone and credit card company no joy just dont touch this web site once they know you want a refund they stop communicating emails nothing also
Beware their Terms and conditions as they wont take back any new climbing equipment even when unused hidden in small print

i have a feeling that this would be unenforcible under the latest small-print legislation.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I have purchased from these guys, same experience, it took persistence to actually get through to someone when I had an issue with faulty kit. Then the replacement took a long time to sort out. I had to basically phone the guy every day at differing times. I did eventually get my replacement bit of kit. I also phoned the UK distributor of the brand I was purchasing and explained the issues and they would have helped if I didn't get through to them. I got the impression the guy was a drop shipper and was struggling to manage his relationship with his suppliers (no excuse).

Mar 3, 2013
wales
Just had to do a chargeback for my money. Expedition Hardware took my money and failed to deliver. This is highway robbery.Trying to get your money back from the Banks is very difficult. How are they allowed to keep on trading? Surely there must be something that can be done, they are advertising items that do not exist, purely to swindle you out of your money.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Damn it, I ordered a Primus Litech frying pan from a shop called Icefall in the week, my Sage pay receipt actually came from Expedition Hardware

I got sent a link to track my order so thought I'd try it today, the link doesn't work and worse still Icefall.co.uk doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It looks like I've been scammed good style

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is nothing worse than getting poor service but lets remember guys and gals, this is not our website but what we say and the tone we use could be seen in poor light by some. Can't we just stick to plain simple words explaining that orders are messed up and not get dramatic; remember we live in a new age of litigation.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
Damn it, I ordered a Primus Litech frying pan from a shop called Icefall in the week, my Sage pay receipt actually came from Expedition Hardware

I got sent a link to track my order so thought I'd try it today, the link doesn't work and worse still Icefall.co.uk doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It looks like I've been scammed good style

Same company, both with a David Vaughan as the director. Looks like the server (or at least directory) that hosts icefall.co.uk has either been infected or setup/updated by a potato.

Not sure you're being scammed though, as it was surprisingly easy to find his home address etc, and scammers usually cover their tracks better than that.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Scammed as in tricked into using a site which I thought was okay under false pretences, rather than EH which nobody has a good word to say about. There's nothing wrong with setting up a new business but if it's done because you've been rumbled then that's wrong in my book.

I'll leave it until the end of the week and if nothing has turned up I'll get onto my bank, Sage Pay and DSR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE