Exped Syn Mat 7 UL

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf
Well used this for the first time last week and wow!!! Absolutley loved it. It kept me warm and is much comfier than my closed cell mat. I'm 6ft 1 and got the medium size, if a sleep straight my feet just start to hang over the end but this doesn't bother me as a usually sleep on my side my my knees slightly raised
It packs down to no size at all, probs about the size a liter bottle and weighs 469 grams packed. Inflating it takes no more than a minute (With a good set of lungs) and re packing it no more that 3 minutes.

However as with any products there a problems:
It seems to absorb water! grumble. On the last night the wind drove drizzle under the tail end of my tarp and onto my ground sheet. When packing the mat the following morning I notices that where the water had been the mat seemed damp and when I roled it up I could see a little water once the upper and lower halves of the mat were pressed together. So unless you have tarp that is completley weatherproof in wind driven drizzle/ rain I would suggest trying to fit this inside your bivi bag if there's enough space or using it with a tent. Finally to avoid excess moisture in the mat I would like to see it being sold with the same inflating system the Down Mat UL has - a sort of UL light bag you open to fill with air then shove into the inflate plug on the mat.
All in all a very warm an comfy mat if a little allergic to water.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Wow. Looks good to me, although I'm pretty lazy and object to even a few lung fulls of air from so called self-inflating mats.
Just bought the bulkier/heavier Aerobed Pakmat for throwing in the canoe/on bike and still looking for a backpacking version and this could be the one.

Thanks for posting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE