exped sleeping matts

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only if you think a minute or so is "lots and lots"

On a smaller pad maybe, but they invented the Sshnoz...bag thing for a reason. The internal pump on the bigger mats is hopeless. Especially if cold and in need of getting off the ground.

I don't have one, so I can only go by reviews. A 197x65x9cm is going to need a fair bit more air than most sleep pads.

I think the foam in the pump must break in and expand over time. I watched a YouTube vid of one of the 9cm long/wides, and it took the guy ages to inflate it. I haven't looked into it much further as I'm trying not to fuel my desire for the Amok, but just did a bit of research last night.

I've seen 40 - 50 pumps quoted. Maybe that could be done in a minute or so. 150? No way.

Here's the vid with lots and lots. I haven't re-watched it but I think it took him about 10 minutes.

[video=youtube_share;j74vG2DxoVM]http://youtu.be/j74vG2DxoVM[/video]

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honestly Nice65, there is a knack to it. If it's taking that long, that fellow hasn't got it.
Even with aching wrists I can have mine fully inflated in a couple of minutes.
The snozzle thing though just takes three full fills of the bag, and I could do without the aching wrists, iimmc.

M

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
On a smaller pad maybe, but they invented the Sshnoz...bag thing for a reason. The internal pump on the bigger mats is hopeless. ..

I don't have one, so I can only go by reviews.

I DO have one, I am NOT "only going by reviews", and the internal pump works very well indeed - if you use it properly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though, those of us who do have them, and manage to work them properly get a bit cheesed off at youtubers telling us that it can't be done.
It can, we do it, even aching sore with arthritis I can do it.

I think those reviewers are just a bit cack handed tbh.
Get the rhythm right, get the full amount of air in and 'swiped', and it goes up quickly.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I know Mary, but we all need to start somewhere before parting with a wad. Google reviews tend to be where I start. I usually watch enough to make a decision. As I said in this case, I don't want to convince myself to make a purchase, as it would be specifically used with an Amok hammock. All in all quite a pricy sleep system for someone who only goes out a few times a year.

If if they work well with the internal pump then I'd much rather that than the bag filler, and I'm happy to take your word for it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My Downmat has the internal pump. It's very good, but if given the choice again, I'd buy one with the snorkel. It looks silly, but by heavens it's quick and effective :D
My wrists ache these days, and there's a definite knack to getting the internal pump working really effectively. I can do it very quickly now, but I still think the snorkel is a very good thing.

I've pumped my exped up many times using the internal pump without any trouble. Yes it does take a little time and effort to get it fully pumped up but it's not big problem.

Having said that I've made my own adapter from a screw on mastic nozzle so I could use a airbed pump with it so I'm not so bent over and it's easier on my back :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you can deal with the weight the polish army roll mats are like sleeping on a mattress, extremely comfy & warm.

Tonyuk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have an Exped Synmat 7UL M. I love it, brilliant bit of kit. I may upgrade it to a Synmat Winterlite this coming winter.

J

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Got a Synmat 9 LW. Yep, the internal pump works fine. It does take a while, but it's easy and effective.

Nice mat, I slept on it last night with the Coleman Big Basin bag I got from the GB here, to check it didn't deflate. Woke just before 10.00.

Lovely :)

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a downmat 7, with the internal pump. As others have said, it does work, but a couple of minutes can feel like a long time when all you want to do is crawl into bed and sleep. So I got the schnozzle bag with adaptor, and that's great. And it can be used as a drybag for your sleep system, so there's no weight penalty!

The difference in comfort between the Thermarest type and the Downmat is incredible. And even if the R value is similar - the Downmat just feels cosier to me for some reason.

And a nice touch is that the Downmat comes with a repair kit, whereas it's a separate buy for the Thermarest. Even my Exped pillow came with a repair kit - nice!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Always preferred the Snozzel route because of it's secondary use as a dry bag; seems a few people have it as a preference over the internal pump...

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE