Exotac

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I’ve the fire sleeve for the big lighter.
How do you like it? Mine is on it's way. I know BICs are quite resistant to water but after my last jet lighter corroded away overnight after contact with salt water I want something waterproof.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
In my experience everything ferrorod is very well designed and made. Not a big fan of the novelty items like the sparky or ripspool. But I like that they are trying.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
How do you like it? Mine is on it's way. I know BICs are quite resistant to water but after my last jet lighter corroded away overnight after contact with salt water I want something waterproof.
It does the trick and handy, a necessary item not really.

Reactions: BigMonster

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Love Exotac design, but I think it appeals only for that reason.

Having said that, the only product I’ve had is a key ring type fire steel that wasn’t very effective.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like the look of the Matchcase and the ferro rod with tinder holder.

But as the Match case is £30 for what is an alu tube I find myself questioning it.

However - buy once , cry once.

I purchased the Firesleeves and can see how initially they are pricey they are also useful and will last ( i hope ) forever.

Reactions: CLEM

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I like the look of the Matchcase and the ferro rod with tinder holder.

But as the Match case is £30 for what is an alu tube I find myself questioning it.

However - buy once , cry once.

I purchased the Firesleeves and can see how initially they are pricey they are also useful and will last ( i hope ) forever.
There are clones. Heavier and not as refined but pretty much identical dimensions. I bought the genuine thing for the bling factor and to support a great brand. Those can be found on ebay and ali:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I have the Sleeve after supporting them on Kickstarter. Since then I've bought the Firesteel, Match case and recently the Ripspool.

All silly expensive but if you are patient they turn up on eBay etc., cheaper. All have been excellent. I like the fact the firesteel is covered and has its own super efficient striker all in one unit.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have their Nano Strike mini ferro rod. Made nicely, but the ferro alloy is of the hard and very difficult to spark variety, which renders it less than useful in a little pocket rod. Would not buy another....where they still being made, which they are not.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have their Nano Strike mini ferro rod. Made nicely, but the ferro alloy is of the hard and very difficult to spark variety, which renders it less than useful in a little pocket rod. Would not buy another....where they still being made, which they are not.
Just for the record. I believe the have upgraded this model to XL because of that issue. The whole thing is the same apart from the new bigger rod. I had no issues when I played with the XL version.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s the one I had, an expensive bauble really.

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
I have an exotac titan. The titan does not evaporate fuel over the long term unlike Zippo lighters do. It does the job for my needs.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just for the record. I believe the have upgraded this model to XL because of that issue. The whole thing is the same apart from the new bigger rod. I had no issues when I played with the XL version.
Hmmm. Interesting. Upon closer inspection, I find that what I have is in fact the XL! It is still poor compared to the sparks from my Light My Fire rod, even with the same striker and pressure.

Further more, back in Feb 2020, before I became aware that I didn't think much of the Exotac, someone here advertised a pair, having bought three. I snapped them up and they have been sat in a drawer since. Digging them out they look a little different and I am now certain that they are fakes. :censored: The rods are no better, but the striker and general machining isn't as good as the real one.

• Wow
Reactions: Erbswurst

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yeah, if I had paid some geezer off ebay £5.95 I wouldn't feel so annoyed, but thinking I was getting a deal on second hand at £15 each from someone here:bluethinking:

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE