Exercise in covid-19 lockdown

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Suspension trainers are excellent for a full body workout. Look at TRX but there are cheaper alternatives out there. At the moment you can still run, cycle or walk.

Reactions: Essexman

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a nice pushbike hanging up in from the hall ceiling. As I have some time off I'll likely dust it off, pump the tyres up and demostrate to all my contacts via the medium of Strava just how damned unfit I am.

Ideally I'd drive out of town a bit to get away from people before I start my ride somewhere nicer but I'm not entirely sure if thats Achtung Vebotan or not?

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Ideally I'd drive out of town a bit to get away from people before I start my ride somewhere nicer but I'm not entirely sure if thats Achtung Vebotan or not?

Not i would say, if your posting on strava. Burn those legs.

Last edited:

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Yoga (hatha) always done it. Great way of exercising and switching off at the same time. Some good beginners tutorials on YouTube, you don't have to be super slim of flexible either. Plus it doesn't make a noise and annoy any neighbours stressed out with cabin fever. :)

Reactions: Essexman

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Interesting, which one?
We don't have Sanchin (Shorin Ryu Seibukan), I like Passai but for condition our "basic" kata Seisan is pretty good. Or sometimes I just do them in the order they are taught. I tend to leave Pinans out but like Naifanchis better, both groups are from outside the main line but still kind of included. :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
We don't have Sanchin (Shorin Ryu Seibukan), I like Passai but for condition our "basic" kata Seisan is pretty good. Or sometimes I just do them in the order they are taught. I tend to leave Pinans out but like Naifanchis better, both groups are from outside the main line but still kind of included. :)

Very cool

I can't find a legit Okinawan school around here which is a real shame - I'd love to take it up again having trained in kyokushin as a youth I'd love to see where the origin came from

Reactions: santaman2000

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I'm certainly not a qualified yoga instructor but I just gave a 30min yoga lesson in the living room for the rest of my family. It was superb, a whole half an hour where I didn't even think or talk about the virus! Feeling great for it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I already do a 1 hour routine every morning using nothing but 5kg weights. I am replacing my usual 1 hour in the gym per week and daily 20min walks with daily 1 hour cycle rides (I live on top of a hill so that is trying!) and extra leg and arm exercises.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm either walking or cycling down a canal towpath for an hour with dog and 7yo son. I'm definitely not admitting to a sneaky half hour later in the day with the dog possibly family too.

I was planning to get some of those elastic tube things but I didn't take my chance before the lockdown. Our local Argos is in Sainsbury's. It was in stock before lockdown but I wonder if you can still buy from Argos if it's in a supermarket. The hour I do outside isn't at a high enough intensity as I'm with others. My partner has barbells but too light for me. I have a 12kg kettlebell but never found exercises with it that I liked. Need strength or resistance training I think.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
. My partner has barbells but too light for me. I have a 12kg kettlebell but never found exercises with it that I liked. Need strength or resistance training I think.

Google Turkish Get Up.

But just for fun hold the KB the wrong way up , so that the bell is inverted , you are holding the bell underneath and the orb part is over your hand.

Enjoy

AMB

Sep 3, 2019
Cardiff
Callisthenics (body weight training). Have a look at Paul Wade's Convict Conditioning series of books or anything by the Kavadlo brothers. The good thing about these is you need virtually no equipment and it can all be done indoors.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Two days ago Argos had plenty of those resistance tube sets in men's and women's sets. Today sold out or unavailable locally or for delivery in my area. Seems people are worried about exercise when I bet without this lockdown they'd never have thought of getting these. I've been looking at them for a month or so as I want something practical for strength training at home. Should have acted earlier.

Never got on with body weight exercises personally. Don't know why but I'm pretty sure I'd try it for about 10 minutes at most then write it off. Did way too much of it with a sadistic head of pe at school. Perhaps that's partly why but mostly because there's no resistance adjustment possible.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Seisan is nice, my main ones at the moment are tensho - good for relaxation - naihanchi - can do it in very limited space and I'm slowly going through bassai and niseish as they're the new ones on my syllabus. I run through them all everyday from pinina nidan all the way through then concentrate on a specific one for a while. About the only thing stopping me going nuts at the moment

AMB

Sep 3, 2019
Cardiff
mostly because there's no resistance adjustment possible.

not quite sure what you mean by resistance adjustment. The resistance comes from the load of your body on your muscles.

What Paul Wade shows in his books is that the key to body weight training is to have progressions. Press ups for instance: standing and pushing off a wall, on a lower hight, kneeling etc. Also a lot of people who think they can do press up are actually using the wrong muscles (back rather than triceps). Also he has plenty of fascinating history of body building. Cable resistance machines about been around since the 1960s and plate changeable weight was invented in the 1910's, but people we still building fantastically strong bodies before then. Looked at Eugine Sandown, Arthur Saxon and Sig Klein.

I agrees that school experiences can ruin enjoyment of things in later life.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
About the only thing stopping me going nuts at the moment
Doing a kata tends to keep one not floating away. :)

Have you ever tried doing a kata veery slowly Tai Chi - style and concentrate on doing the movements exactly right and with correct timing? Gives a change. Just remember to do a normal speed one at the end.

We have one club that arranges a "100 kata" every year, doing one kata a hundred times. The renzokuzukigeris in Seisan would kill me, so if I ever get the temporary mental disorder to participate I'll chose something easier.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have been carrying food tins, four at a time, from the lounge to the kitchen.

Lost count of how many trips.

I have eighteen tins of baked beans, that I know. I hadnt the heart to count the rest

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Doing a kata tends to keep one not floating away. :)

Have you ever tried doing a kata veery slowly Tai Chi - style and concentrate on doing the movements exactly right and with correct timing? Gives a change. Just remember to do a normal speed one at the end.

We have one club that arranges a "100 kata" every year, doing one kata a hundred times. The renzokuzukigeris in Seisan would kill me, so if I ever get the temporary mental disorder to participate I'll chose something easier.
Yep I do kata, slowly with "perfect" technique and real attention to detail, as well as a full speed, as well as completely relaxed just to run through the moves. All good in their own way and all add to the experience. I also look at quite a lot of Ian Abernethy's bunkai breakdowns and explanations - after doing a couple of seminars with him - to me understanding the move in a variety of ways makes it more real than attacking multiple ninjas from multiple directions ;) and they're pretty good on youtube.
Never done the 100 kata (not sure either me or my knees would want to) - PS what's renzokuzukigeris I know geri as in kick and zuki as in punch - but not familiar or maybe just misreading it all together.

Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE