Ex Army Gas Mask Bag

Bought this small bag with a leather bottom from an online store....its perfect for my trangia and other bushcraft bits I take with me when mooching...cost a £6.95 plus postage...mine was put into service on the 14 dec 1942 and still going strong.

armynavysurplus.co.uk

009.jpg
[/IMG]

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Yeah! The kids chime up "Daddy's got a handbag!" everytime I take mine out. I rejuvenated mine with neatsfoot oil on the leather and some homemade greenland wax to waterproof the canvas.

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Try this thread. Mr Eds tutorial on homemade greenland wax is very easy to follow.

I am not sure about other treatments; I do know you can overdo it and make a mess of the item. When I did my M39 I stoppeed after the first coat and tested the water repellent qualities under the tap. I found that the canvas is waterproof long before it looks waterproof! I found a cheap source of beeswax was some candles from Aldi. The beeswax helps with the musty smell as well.

Z

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Out of interest do you have the dimensions of the bag handy, especially the strap length?

I bought a Czech bread bag recently as a general mooching about bag and the straps are very short (or more correctly I am very wide) so the thing rides half way up my back like a Hussar’s Cartouche. :rolleyes:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Try this thread. Mr Eds tutorial on homemade greenland wax is very easy to follow.

I am not sure about other treatments; I do know you can overdo it and make a mess of the item. When I did my M39 I stoppeed after the first coat and tested the water repellent qualities under the tap. I found that the canvas is waterproof long before it looks waterproof! I found a cheap source of beeswax was some candles from Aldi. The beeswax helps with the musty smell as well.

Z

yes definately do a light coat first and test it as i can get stiff and cordboardy easily. it doesnt take much to dramatically improve the waterproof-ness. Athough i did find i had to put slightly more on the seams

Out of interest do you have the dimensions of the bag handy, especially the strap length?

I bought a Czech bread bag recently as a general mooching about bag and the straps are very short (or more correctly I am very wide) so the thing rides half way up my back like a Hussar’s Cartouche. :rolleyes:

The strap is very long and once over the shoulder will easily hang on your waist with a bit to spare...and the good thing is you get a strap that goes round your waist to stop it flapping from side to side included in the purchase...ok they smell a bit musty but I soaked mine in a bit of washing up water and rinsed it out and it smells fine now....I also polished the grey leather with some boot polish to keep it supple.

Seen the pic of your bag and I would buy some green webbing and make another strap, cant be that difficult.....I think you can get the webbing at B&Q.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE