Every time I fly!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
dodss, you might be right about transfers this time. We had to use the automated train between terminals in O'Hare and that felt like we were riding in a giant Petri dish.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have had a cold or similar after flights.The subject of coughs and colds after flights was discussed with an aero expert on Rip off Britain a few weeks back. The guy largely debunked the myth that it was the plane air circulation. He said it was not recirculated and certainly not from back to front of the plane to everyone but just circulated in a circle a few seats around you.....

As a former aircraft maintenance technician I have to say it most certainly is recirculated. It goes back into the heating (or air conditioning) system to be reheated or recooled before being blown back into the cabin.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
As a former aircraft maintenance technician I have to say it most certainly is recirculated. It goes back into the heating (or air conditioning) system to be reheated or recooled before being blown back into the cabin.

Some of it is recirculated. Some of it is fresh, drawn in via the engines.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some of it is recirculated. Some of it is fresh, drawn in via the engines.

That's true. That said, the fresh air drawn in doesn't eliminate any of the pathogens in the recirculated air nor alleviate them from being spread through the ventilation system. It might dilute them a bit, but nothing more.

Rustee

Forager
Oct 9, 2014
Edge of The Wilds
Breathing airplane air is really no different than breathing enclosed office air. It is a mixture of fresh and recirculated air; my biggest complaint is that flying is very dehydrating.

I travel quite a few times per year for business and adventure and I do my best to boost my immune system 2 to 3 days before I leave. I dose up on Vitamin C, Vitamin A and D3 and constantly drink water to stay hydrated.

A simple healthy comfort habit of mine: At the airport, after security and before boarding, I make a stop at a coffee shop and ask for a large cup of hot water and then make my own cup of hot tea. (Generally I get that hot cup of water for free.) I pack my own tea bags from home “Green Tea with Lemon” is a favorite. I enjoy sipping on that whilst waiting to board.

Also, before I board the plane, I fill up my empty collapsible bag with water, it’s a Platypus ( A soft water bottle with a cap that can be flattened when empty). I carry that onto the plane and drink the water as needed through-out the flight. I hate to ask the steward for cups of water.

I find that boosting my immune system, staying hydrated and eating smart keeps me healthy for the duration of my travels for the most part. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Breathing airplane air is really no different than breathing enclosed office air. It is a mixture of fresh and recirculated air....

Which brings us back to somebody's previous comment about the transfers. All in all, traveling is an exercise in pathogen exposure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE