Every day cooking - how do you do it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Glad to see your dedication to fire.

Fire, Fire burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immoral hand or eye
Dare frame Thy fancy symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the Flames in thy heart?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, and what art?
Could twist the tinder of thy heart?
And when thy tinder began to burn,

(no, *that* is not a typo)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Fire, Fire burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immoral hand or eye
Dare frame Thy fancy symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the Flames in thy heart?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, and what art?
Could twist the tinder of thy heart?
And when thy tinder began to burn,

(no, *that* is not a typo)

Thank you :)

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
When camping on my own I allways camp at sites that allow fires but usally only in the evening. So during the day its my Wisperlite. When camping in a group we have a large heavy steel fire bowl and tripod. and my 30 yearold Coleman two burner stove. I use the stove for food that needs controled cooking and the fire for food that just needs heating. I also have a dutch oven that I use to make bread and cobbler.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
About the only time we can't have a fire is when there is a burn ban
due to no rain. Then we use a coleman peak-1 gasoline stove.
this is a small stove about the size of a candle lantern

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
When camping on my own I allways camp at sites that allow fires but usally only in the evening. So during the day its my Wisperlite. When camping in a group we have a large heavy steel fire bowl and tripod. and my 30 yearold Coleman two burner stove. I use the stove for food that needs controled cooking and the fire for food that just needs heating. I also have a dutch oven that I use to make bread and cobbler.

A popular approach :)

Do you use the dutch oven on the fire (hence coals to put on the lid) or on the stove?

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
About the only time we can't have a fire is when there is a burn ban
due to no rain. Then we use a coleman peak-1 gasoline stove.
this is a small stove about the size of a candle lantern

While not the case in this forum, I tink the tradition of using fires has waned in the UK. I know that although brought up with camp fires we then seemed to go through a spell of fires being frowned upon, and stoves became the standard.

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Given the choice I prefer an open fire, I enjoy the ritual sort of thing. Hobo stoves are a bit small for my food and need to much attention (just my opinion) but a stove always in the morning for a brew and maybe brekkie. I use whatever stove(s) that take my fancy for that trip.

The idea of not camping somewhere if you can't have a fire is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face? Although my walking is restricted these days the thought of not camping on the open space of the Brecon Beacons (on my doorstep almost) or other wonderful open land because of fire restrictions would not enter my head, look at what I would miss out on, more importantly for you active walkers, look at what YOU are missing out on.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I always used to use a trangia when I couldn't light a fire (and to be honest, I have found opportunities to light a real fire to be few and far between) but now my bushbuddy has well and truly taken over. You get that special feeling of cooking on a real fire but campsite owners are usually willing to treat it as a stove since it is not an "open" fire. Best of both worlds? Not really something for sitting around and yarning, unfortunately.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Given the choice I prefer an open fire, I enjoy the ritual sort of thing. Hobo stoves are a bit small for my food and need to much attention (just my opinion) but a stove always in the morning for a brew and maybe brekkie. I use whatever stove(s) that take my fancy for that trip.

The idea of not camping somewhere if you can't have a fire is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face? Although my walking is restricted these days the thought of not camping on the open space of the Brecon Beacons (on my doorstep almost) or other wonderful open land because of fire restrictions would not enter my head, look at what I would miss out on, more importantly for you active walkers, look at what YOU are missing out on.

Yep, very much agree with that. Interesting that a few people have mentioned that a hobo stove/firebox isn't always seen as a "fire". But a stove/fire combination seems the most pragmatic approach.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I always used to use a trangia when I couldn't light a fire (and to be honest, I have found opportunities to light a real fire to be few and far between) but now my bushbuddy has well and truly taken over. You get that special feeling of cooking on a real fire but campsite owners are usually willing to treat it as a stove since it is not an "open" fire. Best of both worlds? Not really something for sitting around and yarning, unfortunately.

That's really interesting what you say about the way campsites treat the bushbuddy. Have you used the trangia burner in the bushbuddy.

I had my bushbuddy going in our tipi the other day, and while not exactly a roaring fire,it was stil rather nice to have the open flame.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I think that most of the time they don't even notice, and after all, they allow BBQs and suchlike.

I did think that a firebox would look sufficiently like a barbacue to go un-noticed/un-questioned. So interesting that the bushbuddy seems to work the same way.

Graham

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
learn to cook direcly on coals. make tin can ovens, or clay and rock ovens. Cook in a turkey oven bag overlapped rocks and sand. Dakota fire pit oven, pit cooking, hot rock cavity cooking (try this with a chicken, stuffed with hot rocks, then place chicken in pot, seal up, and hike, then when you get to your spot for the day, your lunch is cooked in your day pack. ) manifold cooking on your cars engine.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
learn to cook direcly on coals. make tin can ovens, or clay and rock ovens. Cook in a turkey oven bag overlapped rocks and sand. Dakota fire pit oven, pit cooking, hot rock cavity cooking (try this with a chicken, stuffed with hot rocks, then place chicken in pot, seal up, and hike, then when you get to your spot for the day, your lunch is cooked in your day pack. ) manifold cooking on your cars engine.

Takes me back many years when dad would wrap sausages and cook on the manifold. US troops do it in cold weather too as the MRE heaters are poor in low temperatures I'm told.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
I had a Canteen cupattached to manifold and everytime I go into the woods, I would have lunch like potaoes, corn on cob, chicken, especially cornish hens. The manifold really is a great cooker. even boils water for hot coffee or tea. I used an old metal kettle and I would hear the whistle blow when I was driving, and I would stop and have tea or coffee. I dont own a car anymore, I literally spend most of the year in the woods. I am out visiting family and took time to share experiences. I just was in Sonoran desert in Arizona and White Moutnain Apachee Rez. the place that just burned down in June. I was there 15 months living on the land. the picture of me is on the Tohono Indian nation while I was out there.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE