Evernew USA DX Titaniun Stove Stand / Multi Burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

Sorry for my lazyness. I had written this as part of the another thread in 3 parts. I am listing it here for completeness.

PART 1
Purely my opinion and I am in not associated to any company mentioned here.

That said I order this from backpacking light who I would like to fully endorse! Bob is a great guy and always very helpful. I ordered finally at about 15:30 ish after mulling it over whilst at work and when I called ten minutes later to ask a last minute question Bob also lets me know it was already packed and ready to go! Arrived next day completed with Skittle Sours! Bob you know me too well! - love sours!

Okay so mine arrived and I have to say out of the box, I was a little disappointed, not to mention excited, so I forgot to take some picks, but there some excellent pics at http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product494.asp?PageID=99 and I this one from the Evernew site.

EBY257_img2.jpg

I was disappointed because it looks very flimsy, you squash this and you wont be happy, but its titanium so can be bent back, but won't be as pretty. It even states in the manual that this should be stored in a cup or something solid. This isn't an issue for me as it will be stored inside my Snowpeak kettle and that is the exact reason I went for it.

As you'd expect its light, VERY LIGHT! This is why its flimsy feeling, but well made, and cut well.

Specifications
Upper Stand
Diameter: 8.29cm
Height: 6.00cm
Weight : 23 grams

Lower Stand
Diameter; 8.02cm
Height: 5.00cm
Weight: 23 grams

PowerPlate
Titanium: 0.4mm thick
Diameter: 7.82cm
Weight: 6 grams
Total Body Weight 52 grams

(Courtesy of www.backpackinglight.co.uk)

You can see that there are 3 components - Top, Bottom, and the "Power Plate" - actually very cool/hot!

To assemble you just slide out the section with the long vertical holes, turn it over and slide it over the top of the other piece.

I ran two quick very unscientific tests and I was impressed. Because the titanium is thin and because its titanium it get HOT! QUICK! You can see in the photos below it geta glowing hot when running on a civi trangia burner. If you are planning on using this in a tent be bloody careful. It kicks off a lot of heat and light weight tent fabrics can go up easily. That said I don't consider this a downside, the stand itself draws very little heat from the fuel and kicks back enough to really make it not matter - again no science, just opinion.

Lets talk POWER or PowerPlate to be exact. This is another piece of titanium cut to look like a small grill. Those familiar with the honey stove will liken this, and indeed the whole stove stand, to a mini version of the top plate. The manual states this is for cold weather or poor fuel situations. To use you place this in the recess in the top and when the burner is lit it acts like a hot plate and really seems to help the overall output.

You may notice from the pictures that the flame pattern spills over the sides - this isn't ideal and maybe something to think about.

Anyway enough jabber! I'm happy with the stand overall, despite my original concerns. It's built to do a job and its does that well (as far as I can tell in the kitchen), but as like most equipment in the ultralight arena whilst light it's not as bombproof as other solutions. I accept this and knew it when I bought it, and at 50g ish I'm not complaining. So without further ado here are some pictures - apologies, they are pretty dire!

With the power plate and a civi Trangia
2.jpg

As Above
3.jpg

With my SnowPeak Kettle on top, notice the redness with the PowerPlate in use.
7.jpg

As above but without the PowerPlate, notice the change in colour?
8.jpg

Flame shot without the PowerPlate
9.jpg

Just Burning without the PowerPlate
10.jpg

PART 2
I stayed out overnight on Saturday - Sunday and took my DX to play with. I am now even more impressed than I was before - especially as my little mod to it has made it work a treat!!

As you can see from the picture above the flame was getting a little high around the sides - this was because the Civi Trangia doesn't quite fit inside and was actually sitting on some little flaps on the side. So I got out the hacksaw and made 3 very small slits in the ring around the burner and now it slots in great. (I'lll take a pic or two tonight to explain....)

This has had some positive effects.
1 - the burner is now lower so the flame is not so high
2 - structure is even more solid
3 - each component stacks together properly.

Performance
Well, again I'm impressed. Normally I would use my honey stove (in the 4 piece configuration) and she is a good stand and have had no reason for complaint.

This weekend dispite being warm, there was a constant breeze on the hills so I took a whole standard bottle of coke (500ml) filled with meths. This was to fuel cooking dinner (canned chilled and boil-in-bag rice) for 3 and making enough tea and coffee to survive the night. I manager all that use approx 75-90 ml at a guess by looking at the bottle.

PowerPlate - This little plate is AWESOME!! it gets so hot that the even with the wind water boiling is very easy and effiecient. Using no more than my standard thick bit of kitchen foil for a shield it works VERY well.

Honestly this is an great bit of kit.

PART 3

Okay, sorry for the delay on this one, real life took over! :eek:

Civi Trangia Mod
So I wanted to use my civi Trangia burner. Mainly because I didn't want to pay for a new burner when I have perfectly good one here.

The civi Trangia burner is not built to work with this and will "fit" out of the box, but not snug. It sort of sits on top (check post further up).

So 5 minutes with the hacksaw and 3 little notches later and the conversion was complete.

12.jpg

13.jpg

The added effect this has had is that I can take to Trangia top off without it spinning inside and it has made the whole unit more solid and lowered the centre of gravity.

Usage - Home/In the Field
I have tried this now config both at home and on the hills. The hills, as I mentioned in the previous post (see above), has a light but constant cool breeze blowing.

With the burner now at the bottom of the stand (where it should be) rather than the middle (where it was before) - the flame is far more controlled with less leakage. Although I haven't done any scientific tests it seems to have made it slight more efficient.

Other review response
Haven't read the other review you are talking about, but I didn't get the titanium burner partly as previously stated because I already have a civi burner, but also I don't it will work as well.

The Trangia Civi burner hasn't changed in years, everyone copies it and tried to "update" it. I'm sure if a titanium version worked better, Trangia would have done it by now. Also it hasn't got a lid or snuffer, which I also like.

Against the Honey
For me, they are different thing for different usages. I know they can be used both as multifuel, but I wasn't playing on using wood in mine (at least no at present).

DX Pros
  • Lighter - hey its titanium - and 50g ish vs Honey 300g ish
  • smaller - it packes inside my Snowpeak kettle (see below) - or my mates MSR Titan Kettle
  • quicker set up - just seperate and reverse the top section.

Honey Pros
  • More versitile - can be used with more configurations
  • More Robust - the honey will take a kicking - DONT STAND ON A DX STOVE!!!
  • Cost - Honey is better bang for buck

15.jpg

16.jpg

Conculsion
Like my children (if I had any) - I love them equally.

The DX stove is a no hassle, quick set up, UBER light stove. Great for hiking, day trips and solo camping/cooking.

The Honey is just as good at the above, but with 200g+ weight disadvantage. When camping on sites where you can't have open fire, use the honey. Need to cook on wood, use the honey (overall I think it will retain the heat better with wood), need something that can take beating, use the honey.

Like I said in my previous post the honey is my first love and I will continue to use it, but when hiking for the day or when weight is paramount the DX wins.

Message to Bob - backpackinglight.co.uk
Please don't take this post the wrong way. When you have a Titanium Honey I am first in line. I am just trying to be objective and I love your honey stove. I really do!

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good honest review Lamper goodjob

I like it, not sure I like it enough to replace the Honey but it's one to think about.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably order one before the week's out.

I see why you were asking about the Vargo mug now :)

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Shewie,

Actually I have Snowpeak Trek 700 mug as well. But ideally I want a mug that will fit in that kettle and the hold the DX inside.

Unfortunately, the Lifeventure 450ml Ti mug is the right height, but about 2mm to small in diameter.

On the stove - for me its like this....

I love stoves so I'm happy with both. But when I take out the camera for a day I have 9KG on my back as it is. This in the cup or kettle is a weight saving pure and simple - but I wouldn't have got then if I didn't have a Honey already.

With me?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You can never have too much titanium :)

I have the Trek 900 pot and a Terra Nova 370ml mug which nestle nicely, I'll have to check the diameter to see if the DX will drop in :D I usually use the Vargo Ti when I'm carrying my Nalgene and then it takes up no room, handy for the MaxP Versipack etc.

Off to check Bobs site again now, haven't been on for a few weeks.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Mine arrived yesterday...:rolleyes:

I had a play indoors (in my "classroom" with meths from Science:D)

As has been commented on, it's very light and a bit prone to crushing if not carried in a mug or similar.

My initial thoughts

• It blooms very quickly to full flame.
  • The graduations on the inside of the burner make filling with the right amount of fuel very easy.
  • It appears to be faster than both my Trangia and Tatonka burners, but will check that out properly later.

I'm out this weekend as a guest of the Army with some of my disaffected pupils, so will give it a proper trial then.

Simon

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Mine arrived yesterday...:rolleyes:

I had a play indoors (in my "classroom" with meths from Science:D)

As has been commented on, it's very light and a bit prone to crushing if not carried in a mug or similar.

My initial thoughts

• It blooms very quickly to full flame.
  • The graduations on the inside of the burner make filling with the right amount of fuel very easy.
  • It appears to be faster than both my Trangia and Tatonka burners, but will check that out properly later.

I'm out this weekend as a guest of the Army with some of my disaffected pupils, so will give it a proper trial then.

Simon

Simon,

Did you get the burner as well then?

I'd be interested to see to how this performed in a cook off against the normal Trangia.

You'll need another DX of course - but if you do, please let me know.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Simon,

Did you get the burner as well then?

I'd be interested to see to how this performed in a cook off against the normal Trangia.

You'll need another DX of course - but if you do, please let me know.

Yup, bought the burner as well...

I think I'll do a comparison soon, but will use the Trangia set up as bought in a full set up. I think that is only fair as it was how it was intended to be used.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE