Eventually I failed at making a large pile of toothpicks and kindling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
And instead made my first 2 spoons

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

here they are before i oiled and waxed them with my homemade beeswax and olive oil seal

attachment.php

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks everyone for the kind words, they both come from the same branch about bicep thick split down the middle, originally i had planned for them to be both the same size as the larger one, the branch section i chose was a nice curving s shape and i took advantage of the natural curve with a bowl of each spoon at each end, first one was the smaller one (original pencil markings had it the same size as the bigger one but i had to reshape after overdoing it and nearly ended up making a teaspoon) it took about 2 hrs in total, the next day i started the larger one and that took about 3 hrs all in but it was done in 4 shifts as my hands and wrists were sore as i had learnt to split logs and use an axe to carve with over the same weekend and had loads of blisters on my knife holding palm.

Knife handling skills growing day by day, i literally carve with my blades every day, even if i am not making anything i sit with bits of wood practicing forming shapes and making specific cuts, seriously got loads of skills to learn as i want to be a professional carver and i am so far from my understanding of what that desired skill level is, I feel if i am constantly learning my whole life from now i might just get there around 70ish

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Currently working on a wooden cutlery set for my old man, he lives in USA and does civil war re-enactments as a recoat with his American pals and when he seen my spoons said he'd love to have a wooden set for his wargames, he is a master carpenter and has been his whole life so I was well chuffed and seen his request as high praise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE