A Challenge Evening fast challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I was out walking the dogs across the fields this evening and a thought came upon me..... let's have a quick challenge. Theres no birch trees on this particular route. The virtues of birch to us outdoors folks is well documented, but what if, like on this occasion, there ain't any? What else can you use to get a fire going? My thoughts turned to grass. An obvious tinder to turn to. It was then that I thought how many different types of grass are available RIGHT NOW that I can light a fire with and how do they react to the fire steel?

I quickly checked my pockets. I always have a knife of some description in my trousers or jacket and a fire steel. This evening I had these...

02c1cee10c6d4ee79c2bc9f60d4d9af0.jpg

I headed out into the fields. The ground is sodden and each foot step sinks at least an inch into rather chilly dirty water.

1027884596d4d45015c923b598f98449.jpg

After a while the path led across this small field.

e8f8b7741190b8bcc909dd53df9eec6d.jpg

At ground level it was saturated. I ran my fingers through the higher tufts and very quickly amassed a good sized bundle of dry grass.

d73ece367b21ccc753035cb7825ce80a.jpg

I put the fire steel in the middle and let fly with the sparks. What did I learn? The very fine strands took a spark and then quickly faltered. It needed preparing more. So I buffed it up a bit and worked it into a ball.

7f48a6092bfad17d391b3bb778defbb9.jpg

Two good sparks and a flame sprung up. I turned it upside down and it burst into flames. The grass burned quite hot but didn't last very long, say about 20 seconds.

1093a6fa0d8929be3a88f9e7b7eab3d9.jpg

Next up I found some dead standing bushes, the type of which I cannot identify...

70327fb35ebd26554f72b0f5fa8b01ca.jpg

This small right bundle took the first spark and burst into life. Very hot indeed but burnt out to nothing within three or four seconds. Handy, but you'd need much more it than I could find in my immediate vicinity.

f38ee6bd6eb15a4363eae44e5c7072cd.jpg

Last up were cleavers, or sticky willies or whatever you call them. There were loads hanging off a fence.

0ef03e514eff126090d9f3031db36929.jpg

I was able to gather a big bundle of totally dry stems within just a few seconds. I folded the bundle in half which was the only processing I did with it.

abbf6818e56df6f6a699983172ea7ae3.jpg

I struck the fire steel four or five times before it lit. But boy did it go.

02f50fcf051c72713af8ab2e14df5ae5.jpg

It burned very hot, with a high flame and for a very long time (2 or 3 minutes).

So what did I learn? Well, I already knew that grass is clearly an excellent tinder and it's very common. But it needs preparation to work correctly. Not a hindrance of course, but if your cold, wet tired and hungry......

The second bundle was excellent as an immediate tinder but it wasn't in abundance, which was a shame....

The cleavers were the best all round and a clear alternative to birch bark. Needing no preparation, less folding in half, it burns long and hot. But it does need a good spark... I'll be filling my pockets with a bundle every time I come across it from now on. It's more readily available where I live and more easily processed.

I will of course still collect and prepare birch when I see it in ready supply.....

Hey ho, there you go. You probably already knew all of this, but if you didn't....now you do. Hope it helps someone out.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Good experiment and thanks for sharing some useful snippets of information. You must be reading my mind at the moment as I too have grown a little wary of an over reliance on birch bark as a tinder and have started to wander down this rabbit hole of education! I'm heading out on a camp next week and plan to have a play with different tinder bundles.

The simple fact of the matter seems to be that there's lots of useful alternatives out there. Feathersticks is one technique that I've started to practice recently. Sweet Chestnut and Clematis bark works well too if you process it into fine fibres and then of course you have dead bracken which is not dissimilar to grass.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Good experiment and thanks for sharing some useful snippets of information. You must be reading my mind at the moment as I too have grown a little wary of an over reliance on birch bark as a tinder and have started to wander down this rabbit hole of education! I'm heading out on a camp next week and plan to have a play with different tinder bundles.

The simple fact of the matter seems to be that there's lots of useful alternatives out there. Feathersticks is one technique that I've started to practice recently. Sweet Chestnut and Clematis bark works well too if you process it into fine fibres and then of course you have dead bracken which is not dissimilar to grass.
I have practised hard at feather sticks and they are wonderful tinder when using a fire steel. One thing I have found with feather sticks is that you really don't need elaborate ultra fine feather sticks, but you definitely do need to get into the dry core of the wood for them to work. I for one would be very interested to see your experiments with alternative tinders.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Dried Cleavers seem pretty good. That stuff and nettle stems are hollow, lots of air intake.

I like the fire steel, they make very hot sparks, and the softer ones produce balls of fizzing white hot molten metal. They’re considered ‘the way’, but a modern Bic type lighter that encompasses both the spark and a fuel source has to be a huge advantage. There’s an evolutionary jump from the tiny sparks of flint and steel to the mischmetal rods that’s generally accepted by bushcraft enthusiasts, but still some sort of mental barrier with regards to having a lighter. Just a thought really, you got out and made some fire, and making fire by any means is fun. :)

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Dried Cleavers seem pretty good. That stuff and nettle stems are hollow, lots of air intake.

I like the fire steel, they make very hot sparks, and the softer ones produce balls of fizzing white hot molten metal. They’re considered ‘the way’, but a modern Bic type lighter that encompasses both the spark and a fuel source has to be a huge advantage. There’s an evolutionary jump from the tiny sparks of flint and steel to the mischmetal rods that’s generally accepted by bushcraft enthusiasts, but still some sort of mental barrier with regards to having a lighter. Just a thought really, you got out and made some fire, and making fire by any means is fun. :)
Agreed. I also carry many bic lighters spread amongst my gear when I go out on a trip. You can never have too many!

I also always carry a fire steel and a knife of some sort. 2 is 1 and 1 is none and all that........

If I'm just out wandering about for a few hours, I'll always have a fire steel and a knife, but almost never carry a lighter. For some unbeknown reason I always like to practice with a fire steel, then when I have a lighter and i really, really need it, it's too easy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE