European bears

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Having grown up in Britain I've always considered that the most dangerous animal I'll find in the outdoors is humans, with the occasional poorly trained canine familiaris. However as I find myself increasingly looking across the channel for adventure (for reasons that can't be understood it's cheaper to goto the Pyrenees than the peak district...).

Reading up recently on animal tracks I discovered that the European brown bear is in general doing quite well in Europe (some populations are under threat however). I've always associated bears with either America, or the high Arctic. In the us hikers carry bear spray, bear canisters and keep food in bear bags. In Europe, are there areas where I should be following similar processes? Are European bears something I should worry about?

Anything else I should worry about?

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Since "bear spray" is nothing but industrial strength pepper spray, you might need to check the legalities of carrying it in whatever country as well.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
You will be lucky to see one!
Brown bears could once be found across most of northern Eurasia.

The brown bear has long been extinct in Britain and Ireland, but it still exists in Northern Europe and in Russia. There is a tiny population in the Pyrenees, on the border between Spain and France, which is on the edge of extinction,[18] as well as an equally threatened group in the Cantabrian Mountains in Spain. There are also populations in the Abruzzo, South Tyrol and Trentino regions of Italy.[19]

Populations in Baltoscandia are steady and slowly increasing – they include over 2000 bears in Sweden, another 1200 in Finland, 700 in Estonia and around 70 in Norway. [20][21]

Large populations can be found in Romania, Slovakia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Georgia; smaller, but still significant populations can also be found in Albania, Greece, Serbia and Montenegro; in 2005, there were an estimated 200 in Ukraine; these populations are part of two distinct metapopulations: the Carpathian (over 5,000 individuals), and the Dinaric-Pindos (Balkans), with around 3,000 individuals.[22]

The largest brown bear population in Europe can be found in Russia; it has now recovered from an all-time low caused by intensive hunting.

garethw

Settler
The Pyreness population is very small and you'll be very lmucky or unlucky to see one. Some were released about 10 years ago from Slovenia, don't know if they survived.
I did 800 kms in a 4X4 over the Pyrennes up to 2600m in 2003. We camped out every night... never saw anything remotely more dangerous than the UK. Fantastic scenery bty the way.

cheers
Gareth

Peto

Maker
Sep 8, 2014
Pacov
www.groundgear.uk
In my country (Slovakia) you can meet bears in the mountains usually, but in last 100 years wasnt mortal attack here. Bear is shy and problem is just if you surprise him. When he know about you adequately in time, he usually evade to meeting with you. Another problem is bears which settle in on human waste, in frequently ski resorts you can often see bears at bin from hotel window, but we are doing this problem no bears.
See family with bear cubs in his natural setting is happiness... West Tatras last summer:

DSCN1691.jpg

Im really happy that bears still lives here.

PS: We have very skilled doc.film maker Erik Balaz. He make amazing film about bears in our mountanis "Keeper of the Wilderness" (just short preview, full version, but without en. subtitles, you can find here)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No, no worries about the bears round these parts, I have seen them and they have seen me.

Ticks on the other hand are everywhere, warm winters appear to increase their numbers and those are the animals I'm most worried about.

Mosquitos and horseflies run a close second. :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Despite the bear having an important place in Catalan folklore, the re-introduction of bears in the eastern Pyrenees met with a mixed reception with a bit of antagonism from farmers fearing for their livestock. Being sensible creatures, the bears know well enough to keep out of rifle range. You are unlikely, therefore, to see one close up.

However, the Pyrenees is a magical region, and the Catalans whether Spanish or French national, are wonderful people who are well aware of the beauty of their mountains and a deep sense of their culture. It's my second home in more than one sense.

If you are thinking of going to the eastern end, drop me a PM and I'll make a few suggestions.

mjojom

Apr 24, 2015
United Kingdom
In my country (Slovakia) you can meet bears in the mountains usually, but in last 100 years wasnt mortal attack here. Bear is shy and problem is just if you surprise him. When he know about you adequately in time, he usually evade to meeting with you. Another problem is bears which settle in on human waste, in frequently ski resorts you can often see bears at bin from hotel window, but we are doing this problem no bears.
See family with bear cubs in his natural setting is happiness... West Tatras last summer:

View attachment 35531

Im really happy that bears still lives here.

PS: We have very skilled doc.film maker Erik Balaz. He make amazing film about bears in our mountanis "Keeper of the Wilderness" (just short preview, full version, but without en. subtitles, you can find here)

Thank you for the links Peto, will watch it tonite as im originally Vraňar :)
Are you in the UK?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....... Being sensible creatures, the bears know well enough to keep out of rifle range. You are unlikely, therefore, to see one close up......

How much difference is there between the European Brown bear and the American Grizzly? The Grizzlies out west have learned to come to the sounds of gunfire during deer, elk, and antelope seasons because it means fresh meat.

mjojom

Apr 24, 2015
United Kingdom
How much difference is there between the European Brown bear and the American Grizzly? The Grizzlies out west have learned to come to the sounds of gunfire during deer, elk, and antelope seasons because it means fresh meat.

i guess that biggest one would be that european brown bear almost become a herbivore, whereas grizzly would be still mostly carnivore. only around 10% of brown bears dies consists of meat.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

Totally different species. The European brown bear is a lot smaller for a start, and as mjojom says, largely vegetarian.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gunshots mean gut piles. Maybe they can push you off your kill as well if the local wolf pack doesn't get there first.
Bear Spray means people (soft on the outside, crunchy in the middle) and food.
Experts on bear behaviour claim that the bears will spend some time trying to decide if the result is worth the fight.
The two very worst things with the greatest risk are 1. stumble across a recent kill which will be partially covered with leaves & sticks.
2. Get between the sow and her cubs = normally fatal.
You need to be several hundred yards away, very quickly. Grizz can sprint at 35mph to bring down a galloping horse.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
About 30 miles from here yesterday. Well, yesterday's paper (the sighting was the day before):

11138657_10205693814896927_5626866917796795665_n.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Quality bear! Do they truely hibernate where you are? Here at 53N, both the blacks and the grizz are gone by mid Nov. Maybe out mid March.
There were a few tagged grizz in Yellowstone that hibernated in Idaho.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I've been disturbed at night in Eastern Europe, in the morning found boar tracks and some canned food that had literally been ripped apart.

We have wild boar in the UK, same as throughout most of Europe?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Quality bear! Do they truely hibernate where you are? Here at 53N, both the blacks and the grizz are gone by mid Nov. Maybe out mid March.
There were a few tagged grizz in Yellowstone that hibernated in Idaho.

Not truly hibernate. They do get sluggish and less active here though.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, santaman. Come to think of it, I have a nice piece of smoked bear ham, good mustard, some sauerkraut and some so-so rye bread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE