Eucalyptus

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Hi all
Couldn't find eucalyptus on the wood toxicity charts, anyone know anything about it and how good it is to work with?
Got access to a load of big pieces from a tree and wondering what to do with it all

ATB
Dan

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Although yes technically correct, not quite what I was looking for.
Toxicity for burning, food contact, eating with etc? Can I make a bowl from it for decorative purposes or eating as well or neither?
Or have any of you guys got uses for any? They're some big pieces!

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
My ex made me a darning 'shroom (which is very nice), and I've heard that it can pit your blades (but don't quote me on that) I think it depends on the variety. I have a few small chunks here that I want to get using for something. I had an exploratory carve, but found it quite fluffy to work with, might be better very dry? ... sorry can't help you on the toxicity.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
there are hundreds of varieties of eucalyptus, so it's a bit difficult to answer your question.

AFAIK, none of the Australian varieties of eucalyptus are toxic as far as burning or using for food utensils.

Some of the varieties are very sappy, with a red pine-resin-like sap. These have large 'veins' in the wood and wouldn't be great for spoons or bowls. The sap is sticky and almost impossible to remove.

Some varieties are a bit of a pig to carve as they splinter very very easily (Jarrah being one).

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The smell of Eucalyptus burning brings back good memories for me.
I was at the Aboriginal tent embassy in Canberra and had a welcoming song sung to me by one of the chaps as he banged some sticks together.
This was right besides the campfire and I was completely shrouded in smoke. Yeah, it's a lovely smell.

Eucalyptus is used in lots of things, I'm not certain if it's toxic.

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I cut down a fast growing eucalyptus tree that I planted myself years ago, no problem with making and using spoons and spatulas, It burns nice as well, in fact I burnt most of it in my lounge fireplace until I took up carving, having asthma I found no problem with the smoke as I do get some in the room.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
If I remember correctly eucalyptus is one of the timbers they have been experimenting with for woodfuel. coppicing the main trunk of the trees fairly short then harvesting the branches every few years and making woodchip pellets. I will have to go back through my old magazines to find the article

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I grow eucalyptus on my small holding back home in Thailand, the root grows deep. It's a strong wood and is used as scaffold poles. Granny cooks with it also uses it too make charcoal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE