esbit?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Where can I buy it from? Bought atove for it but don't know where sells it. North Lancs / Cumbria if poss.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The round tablets take 2 to boil 250ml of water and the squares take half of block to boil 250ml of water

Just so you know, i have used hexi stoves for years but only used them with hexi/esbit :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
So the proper Esbits are more efficient Ben ? I'm thinking of posting some on for resupply drops on the TGO Challenge next year

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Its more or less the same thing its the size of the tablets. One large square will burn for 10 mins but a round tablet will burn for around 2 and half :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got one of those tiny Ti esbit stoves with a little tray on three legs/pot supports. Goinbg cheap so couldn't resist. I am going away next weekend and fancied a backup stove. One of these with a few tabs of hexi to get myself out of there if the gas stove failed seemed to be a good idea.

So hexi is better than esbit? If I wanted to boil say 450ml for a dehydrated meal it would take a full hexi tab I guess??

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Have been 'playing' with a couple of types of hexi blocks this week. can get 500ml to boil on one Army block, with plenty of burn time left - although not quite enough to boil another 500ml. It takes 4 round millets branded blocks to boil the same mug of water. Or you could add just a couple of the round ones to the 'unused' bit of the army one for the next brew.

Prices do vary a lot, and one thing to look for is the 'cost per brew' for example, Millets sell their own brand in boxes of 24 - but you need to use 4 of these to boil 500ml = 6 brews per pack. They also stock 'Highlander' branded nice big square ones in packs of 8, one needed per brew = 8 brews per box. Both these packs are charged at £2.99. however, the Army ones are about half the price for a pack of 8 example shown here and obviously postage cost may be needed to be taken into consideration. I intend to have a supply of both types, to use in conjunction with each other - I think its handy being able to add a couple of round ones to a part used square one to reuse it.

If it makes a difference to my findings, I have been testing them this week in my Crusader cooker and mug, which has now put both these at the top of the list for use on a day out somewhere when I just want an odd brew or two. Couldn't get on with using Hexi in a Hexi stove, or the Green Heat in the Crusader, but this combination works well for me.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Seen some blocks (square ones) at Lakeland Bushcraft for £0.39 each IIRC. Suspect these are the 500ml to boil ones so could be worthwhile visiting them as I go past. They have a shop right??

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I also find the larger square hexi blocks cheaper and much more efficient than either the round ones or the branded Esbit tablets. IIRC, Trespass were knocking out Highlander-branded large square hexi blocks at £2.45 for eight, earlier on this year. I remember thinking that it was the cheapest retail price I'd seen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE