Esbit Hexi and Alcohol stove. Any opinions on this?

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Really be surprised if petrol would work in an alcohol burner, not as standard anyway. The burner is basically the same thing as a Trangia so you'll need some form of alcohol.

I use the smaller 585ml cookset and have no problem with hexi unless I'm in an enclosed space, then the fumes are enough of a worry that I find a way of having it in a very well ventilated place.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
As a quick answer, step away from the petrol can....

Yes, petrol is a liquid fuel, as is meths (the alcohol for which this is intended) and also paraffin, and even vodka, but they all burn in different ways. Petrol vapourises at around 23 degrees Centigrade meaning it either evaporates before you're ready or simply creates a fireball around the head of your match.

That's a bit simplistic, and there are plenty of safe petrol stoves around, but this isn't one. Petrol will normally (always, really) require a pressurised tank.

Stay safe,mate.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hi,
My apologies if this has been answered already but I could not find anything on the search.

I'm looking at this set: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Esbit-985ml-Stove-and-Cookset/dp/B001UEL76Q

My question is, if I can't find any alcohol will another liquid fuel, such as petrol work?

No. Don't even think about it. The burner in the kit you linked is for alcohol only.

There are stoves designed to run on petrol (I have quite a few) and stoves designed to run on alcohol (I have quite a few of those too) but unless it's designed to run on both (I have exactly ONE of those, they're a rare breed) then don't try it.

Incidentally alcohol shouldn't be hard to find, anywhere in the world.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I imagine alcohol will be relatively hard to find in a Muslim country, but I'll just have to pack more hexi's on the flight. Hope customs don't think they're cocaine or something:lmao:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Hehe, it's drinking it they don't approve of. They don't mind you burning it, in fact they probably encourage it.

I'm sure they won't mind me burning it :)

I took an omnifuel last time to get around this problem but I'm looking to simplify and lighten my kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE