Esbit 750 ml mug Crusader mkI mug Crusader mm II boil test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2016
North West
Morning peeps, newbie here. I thought you all might be interested on a couple of boil tests I carried out on the three mugs in the title.

I have had the Crusader Mk I set for years, used it for family camping and so on, and the Esbit titanium mug likewise. Recently I decided to upgrade my Crusader kit by getting the Mk II mug and burner.

I carried out two tests, both using the Mk II burner and 500 ml in each container. The first test used a trangia burner within the Crusader burner and all mugs uncovered. The Esbit and Mk I both brought water to a rolling boil at about 10.5 minutes, the MkII surprisingly took 12.

The second test used Highlander solid fuel tablets (I wanted to use them up), the mugs were covered this time. Strangely the results were the same.

The tests were done on two separate weekends in my back garden. The results significantly differed from my expectations, I thought the Esbit would be far better than it was, the Mk I to be the worst by far and the MkII to be much better than the MkI.

I don't know if any of you find this useful or interesting, but if you are choosing a cook set I hope this helps.

Reactions: Larry Robinson

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE