Erratics - R - Us

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
It was raining till after dinner so just a quick expedition in the afternoon to :-
The Great Stone of Fourstones. Lat 54* 5' 29.2" N. Long 2* 30' 23.2" W.
tedtopofsteps.jpg

this is another glacial erratic 4m high and 27m circumference, but of a much softer sandstone to the Hitching Stones Millstone grit, Hence all the carving.
tedhalfwayupsteps.jpg

The older the carving the neater the handwriting some almost copperplate
carving.jpg

Soon had steam up on a SH & S (Samuel Heath & Son) Birmingham England 1/2 pint parraffin stove
steamup.jpg

With a view of Inglebourough in the background
Igleborough.jpg

and Penyghent in the clouds
steamupPenyghentinback.jpg

It's called Fourstones but the other three were broken up ages ago for use as building stone and scythe sharpening stones.
cheers all Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Great pics as usual Danny, did you have to walk far carrying the wooden tool box thingy?
those carved stairs are a great idea.

No it's only a couple hundred yards off the High Bentham to Slaidburn road about two miles from High Bentham .It was really wet though infact I slapped a coat of Dubbing (which lives in the van) on my boots as I left the van The tool box thingy also lives in the van as a ready to use brew kit. Though I quite often swap the stove around, comes in handy if I'm on SWMBO chauffeur duty and waiting outside the supermarket or indeed just fancy a brew out
cheers Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Nice pics Danny,

Is it a deposited stone?

Yes it's a glacial deposit but I don't know where it came from ? Makes you think though, when you've over a mile thick of ice this is only a tiny pebble !
and it's only a few thousand years ago it all melted.Must have been caused by the Neolithic 4x4's and Mammoths passing wind :lmao:
cheers Danny

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
you're really gunna have to stop this!! ;)

i mean, putting even more cool looking bimbles on't forum within a hours drive of my door step! SWMBO will only allow so many day passes!!

:lmao::lmao:

Brill pictures by the way!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE