Ermm free or cheap or good reading sugestions?

Aug 31, 2007
Northampton
I was lucky enough to get a Kindle for my Xmas present. I've already downloaded a few books, but am now looking for bushcraft/camping/hiking/expedition etc recommendations. Anyone got any suggestions either free or on Amazon. I like cheapness, but don't mind paying a bit for something good. Prefer factual to fiction.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Don't forget that you can download things like the pdf files on this site and email them to your kindle (make sure you're on wifi so it's free) and read all those at your leisure. I have a few books on my kindle and Amazon are going to allow kindle book lending in the next couple of months. I'm going to start another thread to see how many Kindle users there are who might be interested in an Amazon lending group.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
I was lucky enough to get a Kindle for my Xmas present. I've already downloaded a few books, but am now looking for bushcraft/camping/hiking/expedition etc recommendations. Anyone got any suggestions either free or on Amazon. I like cheapness, but don't mind paying a bit for something good. Prefer factual to fiction.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave

The Ultimate SAS Survival Guide by John 'Lofty' Wiseman is a fantastic read
It has all the essentials covered clearly with diagrams and loads of disaster scenarios and how best to adapt.
It cost me £10, i dunno if that sounds expensive. In comparison to other ways to spend £10,(3 days public transport or takeaway for 2-3 people are good examples) , I would say it is fantastic value.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Project Gutenberg: Walden, Henry David Thoreau. Jack London, The Call of the Wild, White Fang etc. Everett Ruess, Vagabond for Beauty. All free.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Scribd has masses of "bushcraft" and self sufficiency PDF books for free, ite well worth searching for them.

Several of the Foxfire ones in amongst one of my collections* HERE.

You might have to sign up to get them but its not sinister and I have and I don't get masses of spam from it.

*Just cos its my collection, doesn't mean I uploaded it as you can take other peoples uploads and put them into your collection, as I have in some instances.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Ok, there is manybooks.net which has loads of titles of every description.
Also worth a look is the bushcraftUSA which has a lot of pdf downloads.
Archive.org and the Gutenburg project have a lot, searching for "wilderness", "camping", "outdoor", "trail", "hunting" will bring up some interesting results.
thedump.scoutscan.com is also a good site for scouting books.
There are also whole libraries of non-fiction ebooks downloadable via different torrents but I don't know about the legality of that.
I don't really like scribd much but there's a fair bit on there too.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Also from Project Gutenberg : The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood - Has anyone read - The Willows (also by Algernon Blackwood) - well worth a read - an eeire tale about a multi day canoe trip on the great river Danube...written over a centuary ago in prose that's bang on the mark even today.

THIS? Not sure which ones right though.

THIS? Not sure which ones right though.
Yeh thats the one mate there's loads of different pages hosting this centuary old tale online - just pick one thats well laid out.
Let me know what you thought of it.
{Quote from the story} - 'The psychology of places, for some imaginations at least, is very vivid; for the wanderer, especially, camps have their "note" either of welcome or rejection. At first it may not always be apparent, because the busy preparations of tent and cooking prevent, but with the first pause -- after supper usually -- it comes and announces itself. And the note of this willow-camp now became unmistakably plain to me............'

http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/literature/blackwood/stories/willows.htm

Last edited:

Biker

Is there any way of downloading these books directly into my brain? I rigged up a home made USB port behind my right ear and I have a compatable cable from an old digital camera that could work. I'm just wondering if the software would be compatable or would it cause my brain to crash?

Thanks for the links in the above posting, I'm busy downloading them as PDFs until I'm sure I won't fry my cortex using the method above. Advice would be most helpful... or maybe a lobotomy :lmao:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Is there any way of downloading these books directly into my brain? I rigged up a home made USB port behind my right ear and I have a compatable cable from an old digital camera that could work. I'm just wondering if the software would be compatable or would it cause my brain to crash?

Thanks for the links in the above posting, I'm busy downloading them as PDFs until I'm sure I won't fry my cortex using the method above. Advice would be most helpful... or maybe a lobotomy :lmao:

Just make sure you have updated your drivers and you should be fine, if that doesn't work them a firmware update might be necessary. Make sure you are free of viruses before attempting it as well ;)

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
The Ultimate SAS Survival Guide by John 'Lofty' Wiseman is a fantastic read
It has all the essentials covered clearly with diagrams and loads of disaster scenarios and how best to adapt.
It cost me £10, i dunno if that sounds expensive. In comparison to other ways to spend £10,([BOLD]3 days public transport or takeaway for 2-3 people [/BOLD]are good examples) , I would say it is fantastic value.

Three days on public transport or a takeaway to feed up to three for a tenner! That settles it, I'm moving up north.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Scribd has masses of "bushcraft" and self sufficiency PDF books for free, ite well worth searching for them.

Several of the Foxfire ones in amongst one of my collections* HERE.

You might have to sign up to get them but its not sinister and I have and I don't get masses of spam from it.

*Just cos its my collection, doesn't mean I uploaded it as you can take other peoples uploads and put them into your collection, as I have in some instances.

If this resource has passed anyone by, check it out! Thanks demographic for posting this up. What a fantastic resource, and you have many interesting pieces in your collection. I am moving to the spanish countryside for a bit and although I wont have internet, I will be able to access it occasionally and this will be a great well of useful information. I am compiling my own list of relevant articles.
Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE