Eric Newby - Travel Writer dies aged 86

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
On of the things I used to read a lot as a teenager were travel books which always offered wonderful tales of far away places and adventure. One of the authors I particularly enjoyed reading, and have re-read since was Eric Newby who I see died today. Details on the BBC web site here;

Travel writer Newby dies aged 86

The first book of his I read, and my favourite still, was 'Love and War in the Apennines' which told his story as a soldier taken prisoner and the narrative of war, escape, love, and peasant farmers in Italy's Apennine mountains in 1944.

I would recommend it to anyone as a fascinating story which is wonderfully written.

That he has died is sad, but he had a very rich life, full of adventure and lived until a ripe old age, which is not much more than anyone could ask...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got `Round Ireland in Low Gear`

Its very well written. (particuly the hunt for the fount from which Guinness springs...it turns out to be the Grand Canal.)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I always thought him to be a cracking writer.
I recall being enchanted by his "Last Grain Race" which I read at sea school and I took it away with me, on my very first trip to sea.

Around 1980 I remember a short TV story, of him revisiting some of the Aussie ports he'd visited on the Grain Race.......in particular, I seem to remember a clip in which they faded the old vistas into the new, including him , absolutely erie, so little had changed.

He recalled his fondness for the thick pea soups of some 40 years previous, seemingly the only thing he really enjoyed. :lmao:

All in all, a rather ripping yarn in a style never to be forgotten.

Shabash Noobs!

Ceeg

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
RIP. A gifted writer who knocked out some true travel classics. The man may have moved on but his works will live on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE