Equatorial Spitting Cobra

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This fellow was sunbathing next to a wall next to where my group were going to be so had to be restrained and removed last week.

blackcobrDSCN1837.jpg

It’s a nearly full grown cobra. In black ‘phase’ which is most common closer to the equator. These are the snakes I grew up with as boy when we lived in Singapore. They were quite common and my friends and I were so blasé about it that we’d kill them and then tell mum about it. I got my first about 7 or 8 and by the time I was 11-12 probably had killed a dozen with friends or on my own. The bloodlust of the young.

Now of course I regret all that and probably haven’t intentionally killed a snake of any kind since I left the army though I’ve eaten a few that other people have disipatched.

These cobras are not aggressive unless you are a rat, frog or other snake and there is no reason usually to kill one

The spitting cobras at least in this part of the world don’t wear spectacles or monocles on their hood as this photo shows. Its different I believe in the northern tropics.

DSCN1836.jpg

It might be hard to get behind it to check once it has noticed you so you could try annoying it. Once it flares the hood and rears up the throat is a patchy white colour. (No piccies, sorry)

Of course now you have an irritated cobra to deal with.

Removed for his/her own safety

blackcobrDSCN1838.jpg

They make nice pets, I'm told

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE