EOTWAWKI - TV series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Biker's book thread just spiked my memory.... But unfortunately my memory aint that good....

What was that TV series in the 70's... was it survivor? It starts off with an opening sequence of an unwell bloke having his passport stamped and flying aaround the world - next thing.... everyone's copped it.

What was that all about, is it on DVD, and what was it called?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Called Survivors iirc.

Think it was discussed on here before or on British Blades.

Perhaps someone can recall better.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I used to love that series.... Not so much because of the content but I think it was on the 'cusp of bedtime' and it just kept me up with mum's permission that little bit later :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was called survivors - they made three series. It was remade (badly) recently. Dreamed up by Terry Nation (who also invented the Daleks). One of the first "filmed on location" series the BBC ever made. Superbly written with challenging plot lines that do make you think "what would I do if....."

There were no police or courts and we think someone was a murderer
There was no doctor...and someone needed an operation
I had to grow all my own food ...without knowing how....

etc.

All three series are available on Youtube amongst other places DN

Red

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
thats embarasing at 19 !

Git! :p

It was called survivors - they made three series. It was remade (badly) recently. Dreamed up by Terry Nation (who also invented the Daleks). One of the first "filmed on location" series the BBC ever made. Superbly written with challenging plot lines that do make you think "what would I do if....."

There were no police or courts and we think someone was a murderer
There was no doctor...and someone needed an operation
I had to grow all my own food ...without knowing how....

etc.

All three series are available on Youtube amongst other places DN

Red

Thanks Red, I will look it up at the weekend when I have time to watch an episode... :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't say that, It was quite good compared to most of the Dross we have to suffer with at the moment.

Mmm - not a patch on the original - they cut down the original plot lines to half their length and made it (I found) far more two dimensional - good vs evil rather than tough and unpleasant choices for a person struggling through the unfamiliar situation of there being "no rules"

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Mmm - not a patch on the original - they cut down the original plot lines to half their length and made it (I found) far more two dimensional - good vs evil rather than tough and unpleasant choices for a person struggling through the unfamiliar situation of there being "no rules"

See, the way you put it there.... I know that it must have been good - it wasn't just my imagination.

:eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think much old drama really was better in the old days - not the sit coms or soaps for sure, but proper drama series whic concentrated on character development and script writing rather than special effects and short attention spans. They still make some - but its rarer now.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

Fair enough, it's a each to there own I guess but I am only 26 (for another 4 days at least) so I have grown up in a era where the TV quality has gone down and the number of channels has gone up. Although when I was a kid I had fond memory's of The Last train watching that with my Mum when I waas about 6/7, I really need to see that again as it happens.

I think much old drama really was better in the old days - not the sit coms or soaps for sure, but proper drama series whic concentrated on character development and script writing rather than special effects and short attention spans. They still make some - but its rarer now.

To be honest I think it was about the same, talent for acting is talent for acting and while I think we have more choice we have less good choice. I am not a fan of period drama at all and that has exploded in the last few years although it seems to be dieying off now. Comedy is a whole different kettle of fish though, I like some of the older stuff Dad's army and The Navy Lark, Men from the Ministry. But I also like lots of the new or newer stand up but can't stand the older stuff or the stand up stuff from before the 90's (With a few exceptions) but Sketch shows like the Two Ronnies make me want to puke.

Having said that the new stand up has some people who I flat out refuse to watch, Danny Boyle and one semi emo prat who I can't recall at the moment but is on Mock the Week quite a bit both are just poor comedians confusing comedy with being offensive (nothing wrong with offensive comedy but both are just crass with it).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Has to be one of the best introductions for a show ever made

[video=youtube;HPKk204nOTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPKk204nOTk[/video]

One of my favorite series although series 3 was patchy in parts. I've the DVD sets and love the show. The remake was...poor and thats a generous comment on my part.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I can remember watching the original series too. It was Terry Nation at his best, brilliantly scripted, wonderfully casted and superbly acted. It was'nt over dramatised
and kept very low key. The idea of casting Caroline Seymour as lead actor was inspired, she played her strong character brilliantly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE