Enzo trapper grind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
Hi.

I just purchased an trapper blade in Elmax and noticed that the bevel is a different length at the tip compared to the choil end.

I assume this is as it's ground from the same direction even as the blade starts to curve compared to always being ground 90degree to the bevel.

Does this make much difference ?.
I'm wandering if it's worth regrinding it before adding a handle.

Has anyone else come across this?
73f4356fcb1b8a1f971f69fd6a7b093e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
OK nice one thanks for the replies. Was just curious as other makes don't do it

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's not done for tip strength, though it might be a by product of the process.

It's because, as you rightly say, of the way the blade has been ground. The blade has been held in a fixed jig so the bevel gets shorter at the tip due to the curve. If the edge was kept parallel to the grinder then the bevel would be an even width throughout.

As to keeping it as is or regrinding, that's harder one to say - it depend on if you want a thicker bevel or not.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Work with it for a dozen trips then decide if it needs modding. I'd rather have a little more steel behind the edge and the tip for poking holes in things like bean cans.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Work with it for a dozen trips then decide if it needs modding. I'd rather have a little more steel behind the edge and the tip for poking holes in things like bean cans.
Totally. I had Warrensmith design and make me a type of pointy, bear-claw scandi ground knife a few years ago, we called it the Shrike. Just using it to open holes to wind some screws into some fence posts and I felt a slight shatter as the very fine tip chipped. We got it sorted with a slightly softer heat treat and beefing up the tip.

Try it out, see how it goes.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
ledders666
"I assume this is as it's ground from the same direction even as the blade starts to curve compared to always being ground 90degree to the bevel."

Assuming the metal is 3mm thick and the height of the grind is 8mm, the angle the bevel would be ground at is 11 degrees, just in case you need to change it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
11 degrees each side or what? Scalpels are 10 total.

A camp knife needs to be 20 total , just like the most expensive and best wood carving gouges. 11 or 12 is silly for general duty. Wood carving tells me that tools that are shocked, adzes, froes, spoke shaves, planes and the like, live longer at 25 degrees total included bevel angles.

I finish elbow and D adzes at 25. All my crooked knives are no more than 15, mostly 12.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The angle of grind is 11 degrees, if you turn the blade over and grind the other bevel at 11 degrees, then you could say it is 22 degrees total.
It is a mathematical formula depending on the thickness of the blade, and the height of the grind, Ideal for determining what angle the knife was ground at.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you. Because most of my wood carving tools have a single bevel on one face, I'm accustomed to the convention of speaking in terms of total included bevel angle.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you. Because most of my wood carving tools have a single bevel on one face, I'm accustomed to the convention of speaking in terms of total included bevel angle.

Nice work both you and Fadcode, I could see the geometry for both a single and opposite bevel, but utterly useless at explaining it. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE