Enzo Trapper build kit. Glue scales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Just ordered a Enzo Trapper D2 with micarta handle.

I am not expecting to get glue for the handle so thought I would ask here, if you recently put together a trapper and what you used on the handles?

First knife handle for me.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Good old 2 part epoxy.

I use Araldite between the liners and micarta clamp and let dry. Once dry and holes ar drilled for pins or rivets again Araldite between liners and blade. Try not to get too much on the blade as once dry can be a pain to get off.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If using liners, glue them to the scales with thick superglue. Then glue the whole lot to the blade with 2 part epoxy. Use araldite precision, it takes 24 hours to dry but is much stronger than the quicker drying epoxies, plus you can fiddle about with it for at least 45 minutes before it becomes unworkable. :)

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thats true you can play with it and I'd second (as I didn't mention) the slow drying Araldite as it's stronger.

Thick superglue will work for the liners and is quicker (I've used it for a couple of knifes) I just tend to use Araldite as I have it with me and I'm in no rush. I just glue the liners the to the scales, put some cardboard between them and clamp the togeather till about the same time the next day. Then drill the holes and glue and mount the scales to the blade, let dry for a couple of days in a warm dry place, the get the old beltsander out.

I'd also say tape the cutting edge so you don't cut yourself. I tend to use electric tape as it sticks very well, but will come off cleanly.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
My next question is where do you buy your Araldite precision? I had a search and the price varies wildly. I am happy to use the two tubes instead of the syringe.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I use the red and white tubes, from Homebase.

I was interested how it was so I got some 2 part stuff from the 99p shop down the road. It's really thin once mixed, but I used it to glue a couple of firesteels into some red deer horn. For that it's fine, but for a knife handle ots a BIG no no.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Tried the biggest B&Q nearby they don't carry any araldite epoxy in that store?? Homebase discontinued ARAPRETUBE, local hardware store only has the standard stuff. looks like i'm going online for it. around £10 delivered sound fair?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Cheers Bill, that's what I was looking for, a 100% feedback with proper description and the right price.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks Amon for the replies too, I will post here when I have it together. It's going to be my main user so it won't be pretty.

Can't wait!
:dancer:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Enzo arrived today, got it drilled out (handles only the blade was too hard for me with a cordless drill), now glued and in the vice curing.

Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks, I guess I am :) I always seem to focus on the negatives but Starting to bond a bit more with it now the more I fiddle with it.

It looks a lot better in the pics, Up close it's very amateur, I may give a bit of a better finish round the edges. I wanted to find a knife that I could get use to and replace easily and be affordable if needed.

Scales and handle in general a bit smaller than expected although marginally smaller than a Mora clipper, width is thinner compared thats why I tried to add a bit of a grip/shape at the butt to stop potentially slipping forward.
Looking forward to using it though. Blade is nice. Sheath is well made. All in all happy with Brisa.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Very nice :)

My only criticism would be about the bit where you have removed material for the little finger to go. I don't know why folk do handles like that. It is inversely proportional to the contours of the hand. It can never be as comfortable as one without it. It cramps up the back of your hand after a bit of hard use.

If you clench your hand as though it had a knife in it ( not a fist, open slightly) you will see that the bit near your pinkie has a large area to fill with a knife handle, as opposed to the index finger/thumb part which only has a small area to fill.

Best thing to do - squeeze bluetac, play doh, plastercine etc and look at the shape that emerges. That should be the shape you aim to make your handles as that shape will fit your hand perfectly. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE