Environmental studies advice

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey all,

Its been a while since I've posted but I've started this thread because I feel that this community should have the most relevant advice regarding my situation.

I've been living abroad the past four years working dead end jobs, bar work, teaching English, substituting, random photography gigs, but as I approach my 28th birthday the future is starting to weigh on me and increasingly I feel now is the last chance I'll have to go back to study in order to find work that will truely satisfy me.

I tried university when I was younger but never committed to it. I think this was because I chose the wrong subject and wrong path. I thought moving abroad and living day to day, having fun, exploring the world (currently living in SE Asia) was the solution to not knowing "what I want to do with my life" but I'm realizing now it's not.

So I'm considering returning to the UK, returning to study. First time around I walked away with a diploma in science, and ideally going back now I'd like to reuse my credits, but the real reason I'm posting here asking for advice is that although I don't know specifically what I want to do (still) I know I want to do something in relation to the environment, something that is in a sense bushcrafty or outdoorsy.

I'm considering one of the environmental based degrees, perhaps environmental management.

Has anyone here studied something similar? What work can I expect to find upon completion? I'd like to be able to work in the UK (Scotland), or abroad (I do really love traveling), and as I said before something that let's me be outside.

Any advice would really help me here guys. It feels like I'm having a midlife crisis 12 years early..

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a degree in conservation and woodland management, a first as well, but have never made use of it, the positions are very few and far between. Out of the 20 or so people who I done my degree with only 3 or 4 got jobs in the trade, the rest just drifted of in to other things.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Barethrills, looks interesting but I need to find something I can do in Glasgow.

Ozzy, no demand? That sucks. I would definitely want to do something related to my degree. How much demand do you think there is for environmental management / studies / science graduates?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Well I finished my degree in 2000 I think and have spent most of the last 14 years in quality assurance in the food trade, I am now on a law degree to stop the brain from getting too mouldy. I am also looking in to setting up a woodland management consultancy business in the next couple of years.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I work for an environmental consultancy. There are jobs available but in reality just one degree won't get you through the door. They want Masters degrees and experience. Even then you would find yourself stuck in an office pushing a cursor round the screen, not out in the environment itself.

Z

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I did an Environmental Management Degree Northumberia Uni. and a Masters at Sunderland.

I now work as a Senior Park Ranger in Scotland. It was a long road from graduating in 2000 with my BSc to now.

I worked as a gardener, activity instructor, forestry researcher, and an environmental education officer and seasonal ranger plus there was lots of volunteering with the wildlife trusts, BTCV and local ranger services before getting a full time Ranger gig.

I see my job as a way of life that I get paid for, I love it, but its not all stomping around the Scottish Hills monitoring Hen Harriers and Osprey! There is lots of office time, grant applications, health and safety, tourism meetings, event planning, rota planning etc. Although I do get to do some of the fun stuff some of the time, leading school visits, taking health walkers on on the hills, working with volunteers and I've even implemented bushcraft sessions!

Having stayed in touch with a few folks I was at Uni with not many have landed what I would consider proper environmental jobs, but Environmental Management is a wide degree and there are a variety number of roles you can end up in.
When I worked for Newcastle Council of the 8 rangers 3 of us were Environmental management graduates from the same uni! I used to go back to my old uni to give advice to the fresher about my careers, and I would talk along side other Env. Mgt graduates who worked in a wide number of roles from working in the NHS overseeing waste management, to local authority Eco advisor's. A friend of mine is an engineer for the oil industry in aberdeen and kept asking me to apply as an Environmental Officer for the oil industry....I also helped run a scout group with a chap that did an environmental management type degree and worked at Sellafield nuclear reprocessing site. So there are plenty of jobs you can end up in.

The one thing I didnt like about Environmental Management degree was that I didn't feel I spent enough time outside, lots of Lab working and time sitting in lecture theatres....I'm more of a doer than a thinker.

If I was had to do it all again I think Id do a countryside Management course as they focus more on the outdoor stuff like fencing, hedge laying, chainsaw use etc

If you want any more advice or want to ask anything feel free to PM.

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE