Entry Level Machetes - Other Makes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Chainsaw on nettles or bramble? o_O

I have a little Stihl electric chainsaw and it's useful for clearing thick bramble interspersed with blackthorn.

Today I've been clearing an area of bramble, rose, dogwood etc and using my mini-digger...

Anyway, back to the machete's, I've often fancied the Martindale, anyone used one and a Tramontina side by side? Does the thicker blade make much difference?

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I still have two Collims machetes Daddy brought back from Panama well over 65 years ago and they’re still going strong. They also happen to be the same brand, as our Army surplus ones although a slightly longer model. Hardly “rubbish.”

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a little Stihl electric chainsaw and it's useful for clearing thick bramble interspersed with blackthorn.

Today I've been clearing an area of bramble, rose, dogwood etc and using my mini-digger......
Might be worth having a look at what the arb community think of that idea! ;)

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/53863-clearing-brambles-with-chainsaw/
I’ve never used an electric chainsaw. Not for anything. However when I was logging I have used a gasoline one to clear brush and brambles back from the tree before cutting it. So did pretty much every sawyer in the woods. We did so simply because it was what was in our hands.

That said, it wouldn’t be my tool of choice for any real brush/bramble cutting or trimming.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Help me out lads. What is American brand machete with the little extended tang bit

Probably the type santaman is referring to but the name of a particular brand has been on the tip of my tongue since this thread started.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Im an
I’ve never used an electric chainsaw. Not for anything. However when I was logging I have used a gasoline one to clear brush and brambles back from the tree before cutting it. So did pretty much every sawyer in the woods. We did so simply because it was what was in our hands.

That said, it wouldn’t be my tool of choice for any real brush/bramble cutting or trimming.
an arborist and it is definitely dangerous......but I definitely do it if the saw is in my hand lol

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Help me out lads. What is American brand machete with the little extended tang bit

Probably the type santaman is referring to but the name of a particular brand has been on the tip of my tongue since this thread started.
I don’t know that I’ve ever seen one with an extended tang. I don’t suppose you have a picture?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE