England Spring Camping Trip 1

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello everyone. I'd like to share with you a video I made of my first camping trip in this strange, increasingly warm but lovely rural part of the country called England. We went to a nice secluded spot at Havant Thicket. Joining me for company was my brother. This was his first camping trip and he enjoyed it very much. As for observing nature on this trip, when we were walking to locate our camping spot we saw two young deer leaping through the trees. That was very a great albeit brief moment. But what was really quite special, even though it only happened for a few minutes as well, we were visited by (and I'm going to get this wrong) two pheasants that came waddling down the slope. I've included the best video I could capture of what appears to be their performance of a courtship display. If anyone can identify what these might be that'd be great. It was nice to see buds opening and the young leaves making the woods green again too. In regard to Bushcraft the lighting of fires is no longer a problem at all, but I'm still working on fire maintenance. Cooking in the embers with the mess tins and making more elaborate meals was a nice change and it worked quite well. And, of course, as you can see at the end of the video I took extra care to scatter the ashes and hide it all away. A few hiccups here and there on this one day trip, but it was really good overall.

I'd like to thank you for watching, Crosslandkelly for the hobo stove, and although I didn't use it in this trip, Mesquite for the extra cord. I hope you all appreciate the video. I find, with the right music, they're a lot better than write-ups.

:)

[video=youtube;olFnTMQAf2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFnTMQAf2o[/video]

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Good vid. Thanks for sharing.

Particularly glad to see the tidying of the ashes.

I,ve been coming across more and more scorch marks lately and recently had to tidy three of them near my usual spot. INFURIATING!

So really happy to see someone making the effort.

Ste

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Baelfore, leaving a firescar is something I hope I never do. Clearing away the ashes and hiding the scar is one of the things I take the most care to do.

So, does anyone know what those little avian camp intruders are?

Oh, and I forgot to thank several people for the idea of cooking on the embers which makes it a lot easier.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Looks like you had a cracking time, I have often been to Havant Thicket with work, but have never found who to contact to gain permission to camp, I don't suppose you mind letting me know who I should ask?

Louis

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Looks like a really good trip out Taylor :)

Do you mean the two male pheasants having a territorial bust up?
Thanks, Mesquite. It really was a good trip, and I'm glad my brother enjoyed it too.

So they were pheasants? I couldn't really tell due to the failing light and how far away they were. So they were actually two males having a dispute over territory? Quite a bit different from the courtship display that we thought we saw, but I guess running into each other at full speed doesn't quite fit.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great wee video THOaken,

Nice music too went well. Yup definitely two male Pheasants sorting out who's who and having what before the breeding season.

Nicely laid out camp and tidily kept. And you cleared up well too as others have said. Always nice to see as it's an often forgotten thing once folks have had their fun.

Glad you allowed us a window on the fun you and your Brother had.

Thanks for posting,
GB.

Haggis

Nomad
Looks to have been a nice outing. The clean up of charcoal and ash after was never a thing I gave thought, until recent years. Most of the places I'd go would not likely be again visited by me, or anyone else, in any near future, but with the increase in population, and the increase in visitors to the out of doors, all that has changed. Well done young man,,,

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Very nicely done with the video, THOaken! It looks like you and your brother had a very relaxing trip. The sausages and rice look very delicious. Again, nice job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE