Endicotts - Heads up!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Popped into Endicotts this morning (needed more socks for work!)anyway, a delivery had just come in and were trying to sort it out. I did spy though, lots of very good condition PLCE bergens (in olive, not DPM) and more helly field jackets.
I thought you folks may be interested , as I know there was a high demand for the HH field jackets and they sold out, so some people did'nt get them.
Neil

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Nice heads up Neil, I love my HH (my lad is even more attached to his as it's the jacket his girlfriend hasn't been able to nick as a trophy).

Best wishes

David

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It is indeed a superb bit of kit. I'm actually kinda looking forward to being able to use it again... ;)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Just thought I would ask you lot who have one - are they that good? I was eyeing one up, but I'm also looking at the Swanni Ranger shirt. I can only really justify one or the other, which is better?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Can't say which is "better", as I haven't tried a Ranger shirt (and there's always the question of "what exactly do you mean by better?"), but I can certainly attest that the HH field jackets are very good indeed.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
More specifically, are the HH jackets much warmer than the Swannis? - I want a medium warmth, not an oven. Do the HHs last as long as the Swannis are reputed to, and are either more scratchy than the other?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Thanks for the heads up Neil.

I'm not sure which type of Helly Hanson 'Field Jacket' this is? Any got a link to the type referred too?

The only one I could find on the net was this type;

Helly Hansen Field Jacket which is a fleece jacket. Do they come army surplus too?

Thanks.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's similar, but not the same. The one I've got is definitely military surplus - no logos, no model name, nothing but the HH logo and a Nato Stock Number on the label to identify it (along with the washed-out name of the former owner).

Very similar construction though - long back, overlength sleeves with thumbholes, double fibrepile - but it's 80% wool rather than synthetic.

It's quite warm, but very breathable - I certainly wouldn't call it an oven. And it's not scratchy at all - although I guess it might have been when it was new. As for longevity, it's survived a tour of duty somewhere, I've had it for over a year, and it's not showing any major signs of wear - just some piling of the outer weave, especially on the back (from a pack). I reckon it'll last a good while yet.

I can't remember what price Kevin was knocking them out for, but it's gotta be a lot cheaper than a new Swanni. :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There's a couple of photo's in the original thread in the FM forum (full members only! ;)) and some discussion of them this thread in Kit Chatter. Seems some folks have got 10-15 years use out of them and then searched high and low for a replacement.

I love mine! :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
gregorach said:
There's a couple of photo's in the original thread in the FM forum (full members only! ;)) and some discussion of them this thread in Kit Chatter. Seems some folks have got 10-15 years use out of them and then searched high and low for a replacement.

I love mine! :)
Just the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks again Dunc :) 80% wool sounds look.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Just looking at the label of mine here, I notice the word "vlamwerend", which (after a bit of googling) apparently translates as "flame defense". Makes sense - all the other HH jackets I can find with an 80% wool construction are flame retardant. Even more ideal for sitting by the campfire!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Well, I was down at the uni yesterday and popped in and was very impressed. Kevin couldn't have been more helpful and helped me pick out a superb condition HH Field Jacket in just the right size, which is a real bargain for the price (£25.99 for A1 con.). It seems that Neil's post generated a lot of interest as he already had a big list of orders for these :)

Whilst there I also decided to go for an unused condition Dutch army 58 Patt. down filled sleeping bag with the waterproof base and hood (made by Seyntex 1990). Top notch condition, excellent spec. on this Dutch equipment and the down was in great order. Being 186 cm and wide shouldered I was concerned about size but it really fitted great on me. I have been back and forth on using down bags but at about £45 for what is basically a new sack, I felt it was time to give it a go with the winter (slowly) approaching. And the centre opening seems to work well. They have a good range of sizes and also conditions with cheaper prices for both items. The bergens were really tempting too, though I still have my heart set on an LK70 if I can find one without the cost of postage from SE.

I also saw some great wool blankets but the had a big 'Reserved For Neil' sticker on them so I'm just going to have to read about those ones ;) If you feel like you have one too many... :) They didn't look like normal British issue?

I will definitely be back especially as he shaved something off the bill but mostly because it's just great to find a place with pukka gear and such personable service.

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
Moonraker - Did you see how much the OG Bergans were selling for? Were they pretty mint condition?

Cheers, Pinty

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
pinty said:
Moonraker - Did you see how much the OG Bergans were selling for? Were they pretty mint condition?

Cheers, Pinty
I believe the best condition ones were about £35 (lower grades at lower prices too). They had a deal for bergan rucky, two side pouches and straps for pouches all for £50 I think.

Kevin said they were just unpacking the bergans. The ones I saw out (which was literally only a few of many) were used, name marks etc but all seemed without damage. They repair stock their professionally too. I would suggest calling and posing the question direct and also checking on back length availability. They had some earlier model Berghaus labelled ones (with bergbuckle?) and some later non marked ones. The ones I looked at needed a clean but all the zips worked fine and all bits as original. He had a board on the ceiling with the range of prices and the special deal but I did not catch all the various prices/ qualities. They are around 75 litre capacity.

I am sure Kevin can sort you out with what you want. However the HH field jackets did seem to be disappearing rather quickly!

Hope that helps.

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
Moonraker - Thanks, that's very helpful :)

I think the Berghaus you saw might have been the Cyclops (predecessor to the Vulcan).

Ta, Pinty

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
pinty said:
Moonraker - Thanks, that's very helpful :)

I think the Berghaus you saw might have been the Cyclops (predecessor to the Vulcan).

Ta, Pinty
Yes I think that was one of the types (Dutch army?) the other was not labelled but similar pattern.

On numbers, I think they had got in quite large lot and were in the process of sorting and grading them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE