Endicotts Dutch 40L. Patrol Pack.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I've recently taken delivery of a Dutch 40L. patrol pack from Endicotts.
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=1867
Firstly let me tell you that Kevin's service is second to none.
The super-grade bag retails for £35 and the bag I received was in perfect condition. Spotlessly clean, no markings and no wear except for slightly faded colouring on exposed seams and on the base material. The PVC(?) coating inside is complete and shows no signs of de-laminating and the shoulder pad foam was still "plump" indicating little use.
The patrol pack is the Lowe Alpine Strike 40 which retails for about £80 to £120 new including side pockets.
http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=17&itemid=427&type=
The pack is PLCE compatible and the original side pockets are also available from Endicotts at extra cost.
I've always had an eye on the Strike 40, the single large lid buckle seemed very handy and Lowe's build quality is second to none.
The back pad is a removable, floppy foam pad which some people do not like but this is not such a bad thing. In my other civvie Lowe pack with this feature I have gaffer taped another equal length of foam matting to the end of the pad to double stiffness and padding. The new back pad can now serve as an emergency sleeping mat and its velcroed storage sleeve can also store a polythene survival sack, spare maps, newspapers and magazines. I have yet to try to stuff my 3/4 length thermarest into it but it looks like it will fit.
The lid has a single zipped pocket and a handy thing are the side compression straps to tidy things up a bit. Also the pack has no snow collar which is no big deal and it doesn't suffer from the Sabre 45's sometimes annoying narrow opening.
There is no coolmesh type back which I think are over rated anyway and the broad waste belt is unpadded which never bothers me and at £35 for a tough, hard wearing brand named pack these really are very small quibbles.
I have not used the bag in anger yet, I'm waiting for Xmas to finish up but my first impression is of a bag that far surpasses it's price tag and is an ideal and cheap alternative to more expensive bags in this class.
My experience comes from using the Sabre 45 and the Arktis Patrol Pack.

Happy trails...torc.
p.s. I have no involvement with Endicotts etc. etc.

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya! you beat me to it! i was gonna do a review as i had the same bag from endicotts for xmas, absolutely fantastic, i got the side pouches and straps for the daysack option. stunning build quality. love the lowe alpine design and the long back is great. will deffinitely be my bag of choice for a while i reckon. did you get the side pouches as well? if so what are the black plastic strap holding thingies for on the pockets and how do you use them with the straps provided, have seen them on the vulcan and such like and often wondered.
mind blowing service from Kev at endicotts, has now won my custom for good.

used the bag today and found it very comfortable if i tiny bit wobbly on the back, but the price you pay for no frame. stunning bag tho!

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Grabbed one myself just before crimbo, went for the grade 1, still in excellent condition, very servicable! Not used in real anger yet either but did drag it down to a Natural Bushcraft meet, not a great distance covered worked well. For the price I could hardly say no. Next is something larger for both the little un and myself to take camping, so I've just been told :lmao:

fast but dim

On a new journey
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i got one too: good sac for the cash, robust, just wish it had a snow collar and a security pocket under the lid. i'll be using my karrimor fformat in the back. the pocket daysac is superb.

as usual endicotts were superb.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Is it wrong to not want one just because its DPM? :( I would definatly grab one myself if there was one in olive. Looks the perfect size for me for a comfortable summer wild camp.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
just added extra padding from a roll mat to mine and has stiffened it up a touch and improved comfort even more. may buy another one and store it up before they get sold out, esp at that price!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE