Encouraging wildlife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For most of the real world his comments are to the left; For North America specifically, they’re far, far, far left.

I am offended by your statement, Santaman!
Must be my usage of English.
Your thoughts about me make my grand fathers and father turn in their graves like turbines....

On this speck of an Island, we have had a major cull of the invasive Green Iguana. Over one million killed so far.
The cull has been going on for around one year, and we see huge benefits already.
Flowers, lots of them. And bees.
Today I saw two flowering Hibiscus bushes. Years ago last ‘sighting’!

I am writing this because the ‘rewilding’ can also mean an extermination of unwanted, invasive species.
The flora and fauna can then recover

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do you know what the climax seral stage of succession looked like across Britain before people?
That's real. Everything else is contrived. No, it can't be reconstructed.

Same here: There is a small patch of the Grassland Biome which has never been grazed and never been plowed.
Keernan's Prairie, it displays both long grass and short grass biome types. Not 0.001% of the Great Plains landscape.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Partly ice covered, the rest tundra/taiga.
Then they invaded about a million years ago? Homo Antecessor or Heidelbergis?
Forgot which.
I could make several jokes about this, but will not!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Humans are the only species dumb enough to live where there's no food.

Make a green world, full of food and prey, and sit back to watch the prey, the parasites and predators.
"Food Security" is such a desperate big deal for wild animals (bugs included) that there's little
you need do but ensure the absolute health of the plant populations.

Hence my story about planting clover.
Lots of benefits, the least of which is my penchant for grouse hunting.
That was 30+ years ago and the results were everything we had predicted.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
It is indeed. Gets cold and windy though, but if you're back a wee bit from the water it's not so bad.

here's a pic of my first School, can you figure out where it is ?

EA1gZKfXoAA2-qb

Dolphin centre nearby.
ice-house-1180-alan-mitchell.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've been 'forced' to make some bee blocks after I left some garden canes laying around and the leafcutter bees took them over. I often see them flying around with some of my pot plants folded underneath them. They also use the side of a pot and its soil to nest in, along with the clips holding the greenhouse glass in and other various cavities about the place.

Last summer I noticed quite a few bits of leaf seemingly floating about and saw they were being carried by bees. Took me ages to find out they were using the recessed screw holes on the underside of one of the big hexagonal hardwood tables you see in pub beer gardens. Nature does find a way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My big brother worked on the salmon fishing in the Tay when he was at University. I mind going up during the Summer holidays with my Mum and my wee brother to visit him. Huge long nets, hauled in by hand from the bank, and big fish wrestling in it and a man very quick with a short black club.
It was a long time ago now.

M

Reactions: GuestD

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
My big brother worked on the salmon fishing in the Tay when he was at University. I mind going up during the Summer holidays with my Mum and my wee brother to visit him. Huge long nets, hauled in by hand from the bank, and big fish wrestling in it and a man very quick with a short black club.
It was a long time ago now.

M
Tay Salmon Fisheries used to have a good outdoor clothing shop in Perth. Long gone now, but I still have some stuff I bought there. Not sure if this guy is still on the go, but his boats are superb.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fishtaydotcom.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/tay-boat-builder/amp/

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE