Encountering indigenous peoples

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
EdS said:
Rob - I know what you mean about laning. I've been lucky and had any trouble but some friend have had nasty instances with militant ramblers and the odd farmer.

I've heard a couple of storys about militant ramblers too but never come across any in the four years I've been laning.

I always make a point of smiling at them and saying hello, thanking them if they have moved over, etc. I find this generally disarms them. Last time out a couple of weekends ago we pulled over to one side to let a group of twenty or so walkers come past. The woman at the front of them stuck her thumb up and told her husband that 'that's what a 4x4 is for'. :)

leon-1

pumbaa said:
For those of you who have been discovered doing the bushcraft thing by a group of kids .
Has anyone tried to share some of the knowledge you have with them ?

I have been out and about and asked by kids what I am doing, most kids will show a genuine interest in what you are doing (curiosity, it's natural).

The problem seems to arise as the kids become more "ADULT", when they have been taught that fire comes from a lighter and that all greenery comes from Sainsbury's or it can be found under a bun in a Big Mac.

This is when we do not conform to the regular thinking folks picture of things and this is what these kids are taught the majority of the time. The fact that so many years ago everything that we do would of been considered normal or common place goes straight over thier heads.

The only thing that you can really do is carry on doing what you are doing and maybe educate people a little as you go :)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
underground said:
Close but we're not rich enough! Sitwell estate unfortunately, what we didn't know was the youth roundabouts have alway 'had a reputation'. Nice.

So, when there's people getting beaten to a pulp by a rounders bat just for brushing against someone in the park, I don't fancy going into the woods and appearing 'different', axe or no axe :eek:

Maybe indigenous was a poor choice of word. Mind you, I get the impression that no-one ever leaves

I think you'll find it's not just round yourneck of the woods.

You go out to a few places by Clay Cross, or further north up by Ecclesfield, and you'll find the yewthes just as boisterous.

Keith.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
With relation to Police searches, they could just use the Anti Terror law and search you anyway, without even needing a 'reasonable suspicion' that you are carrying a prohibited article (ie a knife):

"You can be stopped and searched when a police officer reasonably suspects that you are a terrorist to discover whether you have anything in your possession which could constitute evidence that you are a terrorist. Since being a terrorist is not in itself an offence - unless you are a member of a proscribed group -this power means that the police do not have to suspect you of committing an offence or of carrying prohibited articles.

In addition the police can designate specific areas to be places where they have special powers in relation to terrorism. This means that within these localities people and vehicles can be stopped and searched by the police if they consider it expedient to do so to prevent acts of terrorism. There is no need for any reasonable suspicion.

They should be looking for articles which could be used in connection with terrorism but the powers can be used whether or not the police have grounds for suspecting
the presence of articles of that kind.

Failure to stop a vehicle or obstructing a police officer in the exercise of these powers is an offence punishable with a fine, a prison sentence of 6 months or both.

Authorisations to designate areas as subject to these powers last for 28 days but they can be renewed. The secretary of state has powers to intervene in such authorisations. "

From 'know your rights...'

And then of course they can bang you up for a week and stop you seeing a solicitor for up to 48 hours, quite legally. Is it just me or is this state of Martial Law that we live under quite scary? And is it really nescesary?

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I took the kids out tracking deer in the local woods a few weeks ago, only to be tracked myself by two lads in full combat gear and plastic rifles. :)

I'd spotted them in a bush as we came out of the car park, I even said "Hello, I can see you" but all they did was curl up into smaller balls in the hope I would think I had been mistaken.

They followed us for about an hour before they lost us, eventually finding us again as we wandered back onto a proper path. They were very polite actually and asked me if I'd seen them following us and told me they were practising for the cadets. When I expalined what we were doing they sat and listened and were quite interested.

On the other hand, I was once sat down having a bite to eat to with my daughter when two ladies approached me and insinuated that I was some sort of weirdo, and actually said that they would wait in the car park to make sure I came out of the woods and that the little girl was OK. I was speechless!!! And to cap it all, they actually were there waiting when I came out, they even said they'd made a note of what I looked like, and my car, just in case I was as weird as they suspected.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Rob said:
Cant say the same for greenlaning though.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Try it on a motorbike if you wanna see real hostility :D :D :D

MInd you, I'm careful to only use Byways open to all traffic, and give as good as I get...

Bushcraftwise, I only ever seem to run into dogwalkers, scrotey kids and the odd poacher. Never been a problem per se.

Jim.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Spacemonkey said:
And then of course they can bang you up for a week and stop you seeing a solicitor for up to 48 hours, quite legally. Is it just me or is this state of Martial Law that we live under quite scary? And is it really nescesary?

Nothing new there, I actually start to get suspicious right about the time people try to tell me “it’s a free country” and that we should bring “freedom” to the rest of the world. :(

In my line of work I often meet the public and on the whole most of them are very interested in what’s going on.

The funny part is when we need fresh supplies and track off to Tesco’s or Asda in full Viking kit (minus sharp pointy things of course). Suddenly we become completely invisible to anyone over the age of eight or nine.

This turns out to be perfect evidence for the “Somebody else’s problem field” as described by Douglas Adams. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE