Emigrating to Russia (Siberia)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Siberia has long been the land of my dreams, though it seems unlikely, I am exploring the possibility of emigrating to Russia.

Do any of you know where one could find the information on what is required?

Just exploring the possibility here. And no, I am not crazy... :Thinkingo

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
I dont think you are crazy .have you read running with reindeer by Roger Took it was printed in 2003 and has some interesting insite in to how russia works.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
It's your life, pal, but for most of us Brits, if we wanted to move somewhere with wilderness and four seasons we'd go to Sweden or Norway.

From where I'm sitting, Russia is a bit like Scandinavia, but bigger, poorer and more polluted.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
swamp donkey said:
its on amazon for pennies

I saw, thanks.

Philaw

I am very concerned that the elk and wild reindeer is going to go extinct in Norway in a few years, as I expect the society to collapse. Therefore I want to move somewhere with a lower population density. And I don't think all of Siberia is very polluted. I would definately move somewhere the pollution is low.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I think though, even if I was able to get into Russia, it would require a great effort to learn the language.

Second on the list would be Canada. Is it hard to get into? If I need to have a regular job to go there, I could just as well stay in Norway. It would only be an option if I could be a trapper/hunter. What do you Canadians think?

And third is... Pretty much where I am.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Can't really offer any advice as I've no experience of that part of the world. I have flown over Siberia though on our way to Japan. Annoyed the hell out of my wife as I kept saying that I wanted to get out and explore those great looking forests. Just love the Taiga. Once you get these we will be looking out for some first rate bushcraft posts and tutorials!!! :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
torjusg said:
I think though, even if I was able to get into Russia, it would require a great effort to learn the language.

Second on the list would be Canada. Is it hard to get into? If I need to have a regular job to go there, I could just as well stay in Norway. It would only be an option if I could be a trapper/hunter. What do you Canadians think?

And third is... Pretty much where I am.

There's a test you can take to see if you would qualify for getting into Canada as a 'skilled worker'.

Not sure if you have to keep up a particular kind of work once you're there mind...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/index.html

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
dommyracer said:
There's a test you can take to see if you would qualify for getting into Canada as a 'skilled worker'.

Not sure if you have to keep up a particular kind of work once you're there mind...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/index.html

I do definately not qualify, mostly due to work experience. If one has to work there when I would be living there, that would be a deal breaker too.

Russia probably have easier immigration rules, but I can't find anything about it.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Mungo said:
Hello - I'm a Canadian here - and I vote for Canada - you'd love it. I was born in Yorkshire but moved over here as an infant.

Hi Mungo,

Forgive my ignorance but are there any 'british' area's over there or is it generally French?

Matt.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I sent a mail to the ones in charge of immigration in Canada, that I would be interested to move to the Northwest Territories and asked whether that would be possible as a trapper/hunter (otherwise I stay home), and the reply I got was:

"Please be advised that unfortunately there are no job opportunities
available in the Northwest Territories."

Must be a very, very poor area!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I have emigrated from a germanic/nordic (linguistically anyway) country to an ex-communist slavic one - in my case England - Poland.
I have ready work teaching English as I am both a native speaker and qualified and experienced in doing this.
Problems you are likely to encounter - Learning the language is incredibly difficult - The slavic languages are very complex and have different sounds to the germanic languages. There is also the Cyrillic alphabet and local dialect in Siberia to consider.
Beauracy is pretty much a way of life here - they are simply not used to Immigrants from the West and are still largely against them in legal terms and in banking and finance.
Added to this Russia is not part of the EU.
Can't think of anything else now. Sorry to be a bit gloomy :puppy_dog

P.S. - I still love it here though :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
sam_acw said:
I have emigrated from a germanic/nordic (linguistically anyway) country to an ex-communist slavic one - in my case England - Poland.
I have ready work teaching English as I am both a native speaker and qualified and experienced in doing this.
Problems you are likely to encounter - Learning the language is incredibly difficult - The slavic languages are very complex and have different sounds to the germanic languages. There is also the Cyrillic alphabet and local dialect in Siberia to consider.
Beauracy is pretty much a way of life here - they are simply not used to Immigrants from the West and are still largely against them in legal terms and in banking and finance.
Added to this Russia is not part of the EU.
Can't think of anything else now. Sorry to be a bit gloomy :puppy_dog

Thanks

It's good with a reality check on things. I am just checking out the possibilities at the moment, it is unlikely that I'll do it as I love my homeland. I am very worried about the future here though.

In the event that I'll do it, I'll probably take a number of expeditions first to familiarize myself with things.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got `Running with Reindeer`, its very good.

What `is` wrong with Norway? You hear all sorts of good things about scandanavia over here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE