Emberlit UL stove?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've just received the titanium version of the Emberlit wood stove and if no one else has done a review of it I will knock one up after I have used it a few times.

I've used my luddite level computer skills to see if anyone has and drawn a blank but please correct me if its been done already.

I got the X piece small pan adapter with it and the nice chap included the case, that you normally have to pay $6.50 for, free.

First impressions are good, no cuts (although I will fettle the edges with wet and dry just in case) and assembled easiy without reading the instructions. Feels plenty sturdy enough. I'll see what types of burners will fit inside.

ATB

Tom

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'll be interested in your thoughts, i have the s/s version & frankly think they are to small, i feel that the smallest useable size is 200x200mm, which will give an internal size of 150x150mm which would allow for a decent cooking fire.

Rob

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I used my ss one last weekend whilst in the US. Ran very nicely with alcohol stoves (Minibull sideburner and a minibull M4 continuous feed burner (although the latter needed raising up a bit). If using a trangia burner, would also have to raise it up a bit off the floor to be mos efficient.

Then tried it on wood. This is an exceptional wood-burner - the key for me is the ability to feed in long pieces of wood (a bit like a rocket stove) - you don't need to spend all your time fussing about with little twigs, lifting the pot off every couple of minutes as you do with many otthers, including the wood-gas stoves. It draws very well, flame is very controllable depending how many lengths of wood you feed in. I also have the cross-pieces, but was using a big pot (2 litre enamel coffee perolator) so didn't need them for that.

Despite running it for an hour or two on various fuels, it didn't scorch the table-top - even had a little green jumping spider crawl right underneath it when the wood was in full flame, and it emerged intact the other side!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's the continuous feed and no holes in the base plate to drop embers onto the surface below that made me choose this design over other, that and at the time it was much cheaper than other Ti stoves!

Anyroad I've packed it and a MSR Ti kettle into my bag and after I've walked the kids in I will go for a bimble and try it out.

When not in it's case it slides neatly into the pocket mod I made on my beloved Munro. A while back I reinforced the corners of the extra layer of material you get between the lid buckles and unpicked the line of stitching at the top to make a envelope like pocket. At some point I'll add a flap and buckle but with the lid pulled down as I normally have it nothing comes out anyway.

More when I've burned myself a few times...

Atb

Tom

Ps yup, looked at how well a Evernew meths stove fits and it is too low , will make a folds flat coke can metal ring to lift it up after I've experimented a bit.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just had a first go in the woods the back of my youngest twos school and I must admit to being rather chuffed with the results.

I have to confess that i haven't realy done little twig fires apart from in my thermette* since I was a kid as I tend to cook with great big Aussie bush ovens over the coals which means relatively big and easy to maintain fires. Anyroad The stove itself slipped together very easily. I left the cross pieces off until I had built up a pile of twigs on top of a bent strip of tinder card, a supply of which I keep in the stoves wallet/pouch. i wasn't testing my fire making/building skills so just lit it with a splinter of fat wood lit from a lighter.

As soon as it was well lit and some coals were forming I poked in 3 or 4 finger thick piece of wood and any time the flames burned down i simply shoved them in more. I did poke in some smaller bits to get things going more but with practice I'm sure that won't be needed. The holes on the side and the crenalations on top meant I could poke in these twigs were ever I thought needed it.

There was a decent breeze blowing but it didn't adversely effect the stove, I had the main opening pointing into the wind and I coud regulate it by adding more of the thicker long sticks to block the gap if the fire got too big for my perpose. I was just boiling water for a brew in a MSR Ti kettle but the fire seamed more than adequate for any pot I'd be using for cooking for one or two. Without the X pieces the Kettle would have been about as small a diameter pot as I would use, and then I would have been nervous about it but with them I'd be happy to cook with just a 300 ml mug or even a small tin can which are the smallest thing I can imagine using.

Once it had cooled and i had disposed of the fine white ash which was all that remained I wiped off the soot on some leaves and inspected the parts, no distortion just the usual oil on water rainbow pattern you get with Ti when it been heated up.

I'm writing this from the library as I'm only half way through my bimble so can't down load the rubbish pics from my old phone but will do some portrait shots of it all when I get home and have a play out back.

Next I'm off to ASDA to get some snap to cook on it for dinner before I head back to school for 3. It will freak out the teachers as I'll be turning up for parents evening in my pottering about kit smelling of woodsmoke but what the heck, the lads won't bat a eyelid and its too nice a day to waste going home to bath and change.

ATB

Tom

* Volcano stoves don't realy count as with the updraft from the chimneys even I have no trouble keeping a fire going even using rubish stuff to burn.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have forgotten to mention a couple of points, one of which is major which is that once it had cooled I picked the stove up to reveal that on stone it left no mark at all and when directly on the forest floor just the odd charred leaf where I hadn't,t swept them away. When I repeated using it on a more carefully cleared area there was practically no trace. Certainly after you kicked some debris over the cleared spot you could only tel someone had had a fire by the lingering smell.

The second point is that with the ventilation holes above the base plate if you use it somewhere really breezy embers are going to blow out of the side so you do need to clear a safe area as with most, if not all, stoves.

I like it, I like it a lot.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry for the pause, been busy. I have been thinking how to use a Evernew meths stove with this rig, just to give me another option. In the end I cut a section off a ally coke can which made a tube 3 inches high the stove sat in. Unfortunately the piece of metal wasn't long enough to overlap so I could bend the edges over to hook them together but the springyness of the pre curved metal gripped the stove remarkably well. Anyroad I tried it and it seemed to be at the right hieght, If I can find a taller fatter doner can i will make one a bit taller and which clips together but can be stored flat with the other parts.

emberlit01.jpg

OK its me messing as I normally wouldn't carry a meths stove and fuel and a wood burner stove as I have a perfectly good Ti Clickstand but there you go!

ATB

Tom

Finaly got somene to email me the pic I texted them so heres it in use in the woods, excuse the quality

IMG_2341.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE