Ember Booster!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I recently collected a fair quantity of dried beech and catkin mast as it showed great promise for tinder. I had a go with the fire steel but noticed that although it very quickly took and could be blown into a powerful glow it didn't progress to flame and merely smouldered strongly. This gave me another idea so I lined the centre of a dry grass 'nest' with the mast and transferred an ember from the bowdrill which instantly spread rapidly through the mast and ignited the dry grass incredibly quickly. I would have ordinarily discarded it after initial attempts but will now collect for this very purpose in future :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats a handy tip to remember on those days when the best available grass is a little damp and doesn't want to leap into flame too quickly. I guess the extra heat at the centre of the nest would help things along quite a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE