Emails

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I no longer have a landline so Im going to give up my Virgin Broadband contract

How do I keep my Email? Ive had it 15 years and changing it will be trouble.

Who do I have email with? Ive used my Virgin mailbox for the past 5 years.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They'll shut down your email account shortly after you pack in the subscription, sometimes it can take a few weeks and sometimes it's instant.

Set up another account and start forwarding anything you want to keep to that new address.

It's a pain but there's no way round it, long term you can look at registering you're own domain and using that instead of ISP mail.

If you really want to keep that email address, last time I checked you need to keep the account active, that means buying the lowest cost subscription even if you're not using the service. It's daft but folk actually do it, you might want to look into that though, things might have changed these days.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
This is why its always dangerous to use the ISP provided email, they do it to prevent you from leaving due to hassle of changing - vendor lockin
As mentioned create a gmail account for future use, set up the pop collection in settings to download virgin email ( and make sure virgin emails have label applied..see later).

To keep the account live, phone virgin customer service, explain that as no landline you dont want broadband but want to keep email, i know ukonline used to do an email only service for £2/month when people left their broadband etc.

If virgin say the account wont be closed for 6 months etc, get a timeframe from them, then from your new gmail account, email your address book to say that email address has changed, change all the registered addresses for amazon , BCUK etc. as time passes you should see less and less email come in with the virgin label.

How are you going to access internet from now on, from mobile data? or just from mobile phone?

Ive done all the above with numerous clients, its daunting but common problem, pm me with any questions

Al

UPDATE

It looks like they cancel after 90 days with no pay options to keep it alive, and because of the email recycling they do, very important to change email address used in all possible online accounts, i would change ASAP
http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/email-address-switch-broadband.html
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-I-keep-my-Virgin-net-email-address/td-p/2111676
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/keeping-email-address/td-p/1983712

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Another advantage of a gmail account is that you can set to steadily 'harvest' the contents of your existing email account, saving any mail you have kept along with the contact details of those you have been exchanging emails with.

So all you Virgin emails will still be available to you from your gmail account.

If there is stuff in there you really do not want to use then Google will allow you to download it all as an '.mbox' file which you can save or import into any other email service that you might adopt later on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE