Elm Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made this a week or so ago, it's made from well seasoned Elm, like carving Iron at times, although i did make it hard for myself by electing to leave three knots in the bowl of the spoon, because i thought they would look nice, dont think i was wrong either.;)

Despite the spoon being full of knots, it aint going to split or crack as the log it came from was more than well seasoned, i think Elm seasoned or green is one of my favourite woods for effect as the grain patterns you get are incredible, it's one of my least favourite for effort though, hard work at the best of times.

elmspoonJan1620114.jpg

elmspoonJan1620112.jpg

elmspoonJan1620111.jpg

elmspoonJan1620113.jpg

as per most of my recent spoonage, the spoon is fine carved/faceted rather than sanded, and despite it looking a bit rough in places it's actually very smooth, it's a bit of an optical illusion due to the nature of the grain the old dear has already bagged it for her Porridge Spoon to go alongside the Elm Spurtle i made her ages ago.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice mate

I like the handle shape, it looks like you could plant a thumb on the top and scoop up some stew or broth :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very nice mate

I like the handle shape, it looks like you could plant a thumb on the top and scoop up some stew or broth :)

Cheers Rich, from what i hear, that's exactly what the old dear is doing with it each morning with her porridge, as soon as she saw the spoon, it was gone - lol

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very good that one fella! seasoned Elm is tough to carve its actually structuraly stronger dry than green.

All the best .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE