Elm board anybody?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm looking for a bit of elm board, a foot long by five or six wide and between a inch and three quarters of a inch thick.

I fancy making a fireside sulphur matrch holder, something that used to be found in most houses but which are extremely rare now. Theres a couple in the Bryant and May Collection but the pics are copyright so I can't post.

Basically it's a board with a means of hanging it up and with 4 holes (like the 4 on a dice) in it that 2 cords or light chains run out and into and the matches are held behind the cords. On some a weight conected to both cords/chains provides the tension that holds the matches in place.

I've had no joy finding a bit of elm like the one I want to copy is made from and the lumber yard will think I'm taking the p*ss if I go in asking for a foot of it!

Cheers

Tom

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Tom I keep my home made sulphur matches in an old coffee tin with the paint burnt off, and polished up, I would like to see the traditional holder you have in mind from the Elm board Google images are not bringing any up. I can remember half cones with a flat back and made of brass hung up by the fire for spills
cheers Danny

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! good thinking! thats the puppy! Theres also one made from a old lock plate that uses two thin chains with a weight to hold the matches, I can't find a pic of that one now.

Just ordered a pound of sulphur from these guys

http://www.hobbychemicals.co.uk/index.php

It's also occured to me that pet shops sell rock sulphur to put in dogs drinking water bowls in the summer. If this is unrefined sulphur I may try using that.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE