Elm Bark Knife Sheath.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Inspired by Freddie as usual :cool:http://www.youtube.com/user/hobbexp#p/u/39/kwCHCHLx984 I finally got round to having a go at one of these. My scruffy file knife that lives on the bench is the knife in need of a covering.

I used the inner bark of Wych Elm that was harvested as part of a coppicing job I did, and the rest of the bark is going to make some woven seats for rustic chairs. This bark is a little thicker, easier to remove from the tree and more pliable, out of the barks available in my wood. I'd love to get really good Birch bark.

All the parts ready. The black stuff on the ash wood liner is pine pitch I made, to hold the parts together for locating the knife and wrapping. Just melted it with a candle and stuck together, blending it in afterwards.

S5001833.jpg

Liner ready. As said this is Ash and was made from splitting a section of wood with the knife using a baton, and the inside carved out to suit.

S5001838.jpg

S5001835.jpg

20mins later, after trying a couple of wrapping types...

S5001845.jpg

S5001847.jpg

S5001848.jpg

Fits like a glove at the mo, but it's still drying as I soaked the bark for a few minutes before working with it, so I'll see how it adjusts over time/use, and if my way of wrapping has worked.

The only advise I can give is to watch the video before starting, wrap bark tightly keeping tension all the time and I tied it off at the top using friction in the loop near the top at the front of the initial underneath layers, and a hitch at the back. This last stage also strengthens the top.

Give it a go its a fun project, and cheers Freddie! :)

Addo.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks fellas, its dry now and still fitting well around the handle, and has that nice tap as the bolster hits the liner.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers fellas

Chad, it feels nice that I got all the materials from the woods. Does feel traditional, must admit this has been my favourite simple project, almost stress free!

Go for it Tyler, and get some pics up when done chap.

Simon, Think its going to be the half leather/wood one next time. Trying to make the most of the spare time before the joys of sleepless nights, feeds and changes starts all over again!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers fellas

Chad, it feels nice that I got all the materials from the woods. Does feel traditional, must admit this has been my favourite simple project, almost stress free!

Go for it Tyler, and get some pics up when done chap.

Simon, Think its going to be the half leather/wood one next time. Trying to make the most of the spare time before the joys of sleepless nights, feeds and changes starts all over again!

Go for it mate! the half leather sheaths are a great project, bet you can't wait for the little un to come along I know I'd like another.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thats fantastic! i have actually wachted that video many times before seeing this thread. Freddie is a talented fella...if i have a tenth of his talent with this wacky thing called bushcraft id be a happy chappy!!

great sheath though...i keep telling myself i'll get round to doing one! keep up the great work!!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
thats fantastic! i have actually wachted that video many times before seeing this thread. Freddie is a talented fella...if i have a tenth of his talent with this wacky thing called bushcraft id be a happy chappy!!

great sheath though...i keep telling myself i'll get round to doing one! keep up the great work!!

Get it done Paul, you know you want to :D

Fredde is a very talented man, and I've also enjoyed all the videos he's made. There's some great ideas on them that I've not seen very often done. I have a big interest in making something difficult using natural materials in the woods to a good fit, that will work well. The items might not be all that pretty or sell well, but are a joy to do.

Ive just finished forging out a new stick tang blade from a spring coil, thats going to be turned into a "Fast Knife" next time I'm out up in my favourite spot. Might just have to light the fire with the old bow drill too :D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
A bit like your landy :) had loads of fun in mine the winter.

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Noice work on that one I love it.

Think its going to be the half leather/wood one next time. Trying to make the most of the spare time before the joys of sleepless nights, feeds and changes starts all over again!

As long as you wet form it on the friction will hold it.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I finally had a go at this today but admit to bushcraft blasphemy...I used a bit of glue to secure the last wrap!:yikes:

I did this at work during my breaks and didn't spend a lot of time on it but it sure beats the original plastic sheath the Mora came with. I always wanted to do a nice scandi sheath for it but making knives and sheaths gets in the way of replacing ones for old knives.

The bark I used was from a fallen birch and the strips weren't very long to be honest. It's a very secure grip on the knife compared to the original, I always thought I'd slice my hand open retrieving it from my bergan with the original.

Thanks again for sharing the results of yours Paul, it made me want to have a go and that's always a good thing. I know you were inspired by Freddie's video but I wouldn't have seen that if you didn't post it...

Photo0136.jpg

Photo0133.jpg

My lad just couldn't resist getting his hand in a picture for some reason.:rolleyes:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff Chad, and well done for using the proper birch bark too!

Don't feel bad about the glue, I added a tiny drop to the last wrap to stop in moving down when the knife was out of the sheath. Don't think it would of mattered but didn't want to risk it.

Those paws don't look so small, he must be growing up fast now!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Glad to hear I won't be burned at the stake for the glue. Yup, first tooth out last Sunday and it's his 6th birthday on the 18th. Time flies eh! I admit I'm kinda jealous you'll get to go through the whole process again soon with a new baba, but I also like the lack of maintenance thesedays...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
how does it hold up in the field ?

Only just finished mine yesterday but I'll see at the end of the month when I go out for a few days...the belt loop is doubled up and it feels pretty strong. The mora that goes in it cost me £5 so if I lose it I'm not out anything. I don't think I'll make a sheath like this for the knives I make until I've seen how this one holds up but I have faith in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE