Electrity provider have placed new pole in a stream!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
My ancient elecy pole has been replaced, however they have decided to put it in a different position and have put it in a stream bed. The stream only runs for a few days per year and prior to last year had not run for 7 years but I'm sure it can't be good practice to put it where it is!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Silly beggars, it was probably easy to dig there.

They are currently replacing the 2 in my garden and have put a new pole in right next to the old ones ready for swapping over. The cables appear to be touching the new pole but its not earthing - must be insulated. Hoping to bagsy the old poles!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hoping to bagsy the old poles!

Done that before, wasn't anything like as good as I expected cos there was no metal top covering the end grain on top of the pole so it goes rotten from the inside out and by the time its replaced its about knackered.
Bit like mild steel fourstroke bike exhausts then

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I once got two old telegraph poles (50's vintage I believe) they poured liquid tar when I tried to drill them when replacing a gate post!

I still have about 10 foot of one left over.

Seems like you win some and lose some.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you do get hold of them, some are great and some are rotten - it seems to be pot luck - but whatever you do, don't use a chainsaw on them, I've seen more than one near miss caused by the amount of (sometimes hidden!) metalwork in them...............

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
The old GPO poles used to go for 1/- (one Shilling) back in the good old days, My uncle was a linesman and we used to help cut and split them for him.

Should they have put it in a stream bed, doubtful, but I guess no one told them it was a stream bed, so they just dropped it in at the approximate distance required from the other poles on the line.

A friend of mine had the local power company bury the lines across his land rather than renewing the poles, so he could use the land as a landing strip for his plane.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE