Electric chainsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Having move to somewhere with mains gas for first time since the 90s I'm not burn anywhere near as much wood....

So I'm looking at getting an electric chainsaw for ease of use etc. Something to sit between a bowsaw and the 50cc petrol beasty.

Most cutting wood for the fire pit and a bit for the stove. No big trunks just branches / timber waste.

Bar wise 13" is plenty long enough.

What are peoples thoughts on make and models?

Part of me is tempted by one of the Oregon ones with their self sharpening function. Just to save a faff.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I Have the Oregon one and a Petrol one and am very happy with the Electric versatility.
If you live in or close to Devon feel free to pop down and have a play.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I used several Stihl akku tools professionally. They aren't cheap but they work fantastically. Especially cutting hedges is a fun with that option.

But If I would have to choose only one motor chaine saw I would buy a petrol chain saw, because the trees you get usually don't stand next to your house.
I recommend to buy Husquarna, Dolmar or Stihl, depending on what is sold by your next dealer with service point for professional use.
Stihl petrol doesn't smell as hell, by the way. An important point in my opinion.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Having move to somewhere with mains gas for first time since the 90s I'm not burn anywhere near as much wood....

So I'm looking at getting an electric chainsaw for ease of use etc. Something to sit between a bowsaw and the 50cc petrol beasty.

Most cutting wood for the fire pit and a bit for the stove. No big trunks just branches / timber waste.

Bar wise 13" is plenty long enough.

What are peoples thoughts on make and models?

Part of me is tempted by one of the Oregon ones with their self sharpening function. Just to save a faff.

There was a thread discussing this topic about a month ago IIRC. I am a recent convert to electric; they are fantastic. I have two Stihl petrol saws that I use in the wood for coppicing and felling but starting them repeatedly has given me the equivalent of tennis elbow. I bought the electric saw mainly to work nearer the house - thinking the battery wouldn't last long enough for working in the wood - I was wrong, they last well and a couple of sets (the saw takes two 18v batteries) will usually see me through a shift.

The one problem I have found with it though is that it's possible to start treating them with less respect than a petrol one - which is a mistake because I think they are more dangerous as they are so easy to start in the first place.

I would probably still use petrol when cutting down anything over 30cm but up to that point I only use electric now. I've even bought a near-silent 1Kw generator so I can charge the batteries down in the wood but I haven't had to use that yet.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Community standard here is a Stihl with a 16" bar. 12" bars use fine chain that doesn't stand up to much.
Self sharpening is just one more thing to break down. Chain sharpening is not hard to learn.
Of course, things are more "industrial" here. Two repair shops that I know of even in my little village of 600.
The chain comes on 100' spools and the saw files are 12 to a box.

Me? I was gifted a Remington electric and a Poulan gasser. Not really much use for either one.
The Remington is better for rough-out wood carving but I don't mind the noise and smell of the Poulan.

Just do yourself a really big favor and get kitted out with good quality safety equipment.
Bravado damage will make you look very stupid for all the world to see.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Same concept, just a quarter of the price :)
I suspect so. I finally swallowed hard and bought a Honda and the LPG conversion kit. Oh my its good, very, very good. But not, as you say, cheap. We need something solid for mains backup though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Coincidently we have had four power cuts in the last 24 hours - only very short ones though. We've not had any of the day(s) long ones since I bought my main generator some fifteen or so years ago - best investment I ever made :)

For us - no electricity means no water :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We run four freezers & are in the area that's not a priority for fixing- a long power cut could cost us a lot. We run uninterruptible power to the electric fences too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE