Elderberry spirits

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Has anyone used elderberrys in gin/vodka/whisky etc? There is a bush near made laden with the berries but dont have the equipment to make wine, but wondered if they could be used similar to blackberries???

cheeyarz

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Elderberry tincture is a superb medicinal infusion. It has documented anti viral properties. Hardly a cure for the common cold, but certainly helps the fight (or so I am informed). I have a demijohn full on the go this year and am happy to report how it turn out. Now whether it will be palatable remains to be seen!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I am going to have a bash at this aswell then, question is what spirit to use?? I am very pleased with how my blackberry whisky is maturing so might also try this with elderberrys..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Traditionally high alcohol vodka is used for tinctures - 40%ABV or more. But it should work in any spirit

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I've just made elderberry jam and have to say I was disappointed. It is a very bland to delicate flavour, so I would think BRs infusion for the medicinal properties might be a better approach rather then any improvement in taste?? I have read somewhere that elderberry is considered an emetic? If so it might be wise to keep consumption within limits. ;)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
next time you se a church fate or jumble sale pop in - there is always a few demijohns and an airlock for about 20p. Get some steriliser and away you go - i promis its worth it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE