Elderberry liqueur?

My advice is not to overdo the elderberries, they have a very distinct taste that can be tannin heavy and over rich, almost medicinal if you use too many. So, maybe a third of the amount of blackberries you'd need in a liqueuer perhaps

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
SWMBO and I have two jars sitting in a dark place right now! We were a bit dissappointed with the amount of berries we foraged this year, but we didn't have much time and were a bit early for the bushes around us.

We just made a very sweet schnapps recipe. Real schnapps isn't overly sweet, but I have a sweet tooth!

Make sugar syrup by gently heating two portions of water to one portion sugar.

We used jars:

Fill a fifth of the jar with washed, black, well sorted dry and stem free berries.

Put in as much sugar syrup as you think you might stomach, I put in enough to cover the berries, you can add more to taste later.

Fill remaining 4/5th with vodka. Within 3 days the booze had taken on a dark colour. Withing a week it was very deep red and had nice cherry notes when I 'tested it'. It should improve.

I'm thinking about putting it through a filter at the end (a month should be about right), but will probably just sieve out the berries. Any thoughts anyone?

Not a proper recipe but it seems to be working out nicely.

My advice is not to overdo the elderberries, they have a very distinct taste that can be tannin heavy and over rich, almost medicinal if you use too many. So, maybe a third of the amount of blackberries you'd need in a liqueuer perhaps

Yup I ran out of sloes one year and my buddy and i decided to try elederberries in the left over gin...:eek: it was awful...ended up not using it until we had a crazy gathering and ran out of drink...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE