elderberry bush/tree bumper crop

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have a bumper crop of red elderberries around were I am are they worth picking for making wine most of what I have seen on line is the blue or black elderberries and what else could I use them for from what I have read they are poisonous whats up with that then?

I have what we think is a cultivar of red elder on my allotment, it very rarely makes fruit so I have no idea how edible they are. However this website here is very well researched. Try looking at first nation based info as well regards cooking. Rich59 collect elders send him Pm and ask him if he does anything with them. I wouldn't try eating too many of them raw, even black Elder can cause queesyness raw.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
If they are elderberries (sambucca nigra) then wine is simply the best thing to do with them, use (some) of the flowers in spring to make champayne then berries in the late autumn to make wine.
The wines i have made have varied tremendously with some tasting almost porty but many erm... not. Id use a fruit heavy recipy is all i can recomend but if someone has a consistantly successfull recipy id like to know it! I suspect its just the curse of homebrew and small batches being variable.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
The elder is a staple of my wine cellar. Edlerflower wine on it's own, brewed with ginger it's excellent. I make it from the fruit too. Trouble is, I never save any - I just love the taste.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Edible when cooked.

a bit dodgy raw. Quite a few first nation tribes eat berries that are regarded as poisonous by modern science. Fruit like choke cherries the toxins are denatured by crushing the fruit and either cooking or drying. The fruit acids and the air react with prussic acid rendering it harmless. Personally I would find out how it should be cooked first. I have drunk quite a large qunatity of black Elder wine apart from the invisable axe in head the next day I lived.

Red elder is common in canada and is sometimes planted in parks in britian. Ornimental cultivars are common in gardens.They aren't the same plant as european black Elder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE