Elder wood, any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Not done any carving with it, but from what I understand, it seasons to being a very hard wood, so probably best to get started :)

It is good for bows if you find a cleanish, straightish piece.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Mature wood is used for whittling and carving, while smaller stems can be hollowed out to make craft items. The flowers and berries are mildly poisonous, so should be cooked before eating. The leaves are also poisonous. The flowers are often used to make wine, cordial or tea, or fried to make fritters. (Wiki)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not sure if it is what you call a fritter, but we have been enjoying them two ways:
1: you dip the whole cleanred flower bunch in a thicker crepes batter, then fry on a pan (in butter)
2: cut off the flowers into a crepes batter, then continue as usual.

Lovely taste!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have been stocking up for my winter carving. I got some Elder, Plum, Ash, Sycamore, Damson, Cherry, Elm, Fig and a few bits that I forgot what they are, haha! I started writing on them when I forgot the species of the first bits I collected!

I'm also waiting for a bit of monkey puzzle when one of my customers decide it's time to chop it down.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's not a great firewood and the pithy core to it makes carving the usual bushcrafty utensils a pain but you can have fun making whistles out of it.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a fair amount of it, unfortunately rather rotten for the most part, being windfall branches from trees well past their prime. Does it burn well, or is the smoke toxic?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE