Eighth Hammock Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
John let me havea shot of his group buy hammock when we paddled to the wallaby island and it's fair to say I was fairly skeptical it would take my weight/be comfy enough.

My initial thoughts are...

Brrrr it's freezing without insulation
Because I have a spinal frame in my back, lying flat is an absolute no no. My physio said hammocks are a no no too :rolleyes:

However when trying it out yesterday and after overcoming the initial "is this strong enough?" :D It was pure comfort. :) Because I'm lying at an angle and not flat out, it seems ok. (The trial will be to try it without painkillers!) I think the main issue is getting in and out without twisting my spine but I've got it sussed now. I only tried it for ten mins or so as it was pretty cold but in the next few weeks I'll take it to Loch Lomond for an over nighter to try it out. And by the way it is plenty strong enough-it was well tested ;)

I've got some ideas regarding insulation like using fibre pile as an underblanket with a windproof backing and using a sleeping bag quilt on top as opposed to a sleeping bag. This will ensure there are no mobility issues in getting in and out.

So I think this will be an amazing addition to camping in areas where tent would be hard to put up (eg the rocky islands of loch Maree) as well as light weight camping. I bought it for Midgie thinking it would be no good for me but now I'm seriously going to consider it as an alternative. I'll try n get hold of a paradise hammock or wait out until another group buy to do me for later on. So once again cheers for the advice and the hammock MK.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
John, as discussed via PM, I hereby show an interest for two hammocks in a possible 9th group buy, if it takes off!

Now, I'll sit back and watch the place go mad!! :lmao:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Having just borrowed Swyn's this weekend (huge thanks to Swyn) and sleeping like a baby in it, I am definitely up for a couple if and when the next buy takes place :)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Provisionally put me down for one maybe two. It will all depend on when it goes ahead but i definatly have an interest as they are better than the one i bought off evilbay for not much more. My better half appears to have bagsyed the one i got for delamere so i am in need of another. :D

P

Philr

If there is a ninth group buy after using mine for a camp at the weekend I would like 6 of them for the Scout Leaders that helped me out.
I found that by putting my thermarest in 1st then my bag folled by me i slept like a Log only quiet noisey it was said absolutly brill bit of kit..
So 6 please for definate. :thanks:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
A quick tot up reading back through the posts suggests we may potentially have a fairly solid interest in at least 15 more hammocks - if not I will make up the shortfall regardless :). So if and when another hammock group buy raises its magical ;) head at least 15 will be required :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE