Egyptian? hand drill (not fire starting)

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Some years ago I used a hand drill to put a hole in some slate with a fixed nail as the drill head, so I am familiar with there use and build.
My question is does anyone who uses this primitive black and decker have some pointers as to how I can make a 'chuck' for inter-changeable bits? Hope this makes sense?
'Tyre kickers' need not post!
Alan

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Some years ago I used a hand drill to put a hole in some slate with a fixed nail as the drill head, so I am familiar with there use and build.
My question is does anyone who uses this primitive black and decker have some pointers as to how I can make a 'chuck' for inter-changeable bits? Hope this makes sense?
'Tyre kickers' need not post!
Alan

I may be a tyre kicker since I don't use them. I do regularly make up simple drill bits from flattened and sharpened nails but I stick them in my battery drill. I have also seen a lot of original drill of this type from Egyptian (good one on display in british museum) to medieval, to spoon bit braces used by the early 20th C chair framers in High Wycombe. None of these had interchangeable bits. Why not? if you are a woodworker it does not take long to make the brace bit up and it is easier to make a brace for each bit then you don't waste time changing. The only benefit to changing bits is if you are itinerant and have to carry your tools but most woodworkers were not.

T

Tim Rast

Robin's solution seems to be the same one used by the Inuit. They'd carry one bow, but have several different spindles, each permanently mounted with a different drillbit for drilling different kinds of holes or left untipped for fire starting.

Some flintknappers have made pressure flakers that have removable copper bits, that might work as a model for your drill. They drill a hole in a wood handle and insert an aluminum tube into the hole. The copper rod (or in your case drill bit) should fit snuggly into the aluminum tube. The rod is secured in place by set screws (grub screws) that are countersunk from the side.

Item #4 on this link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4752810_assemble-flintknapping-toolkit.html

Cheers,
Tim

Elfshot: Sticks and Stones

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE